What AMD motherboard combo is the best for audio

The Greater God

Im building some audio systems and I would like to know what motherboard is the best out there for audio based pc's. I know that the VIA chipset is catching a lot of hell, but I don't know which other ones are good or bad for this type of thing. Friend of mine tells me ECS is the way to go, hands down esp with the K7S5A.

Anyone else who has experience in building systems, your input is needed here.

Thanks

I just built a pc used as a DAW based on an Asus A7N266-C motherboard (nforce 415-D chipset) and XP1700+ 5 days ago.

It's been on 24/24h for these five days since its also being used as a server, and I haven't had to reboot yet. No crashes. Nada :)

I did some audio recordings with my Delta66 in Nuendo yesterday. No problems: no clicks, no pops, works fine and its rock solid.

Avoid Via.

i have also had no problems with the asus a7m266 board (AMD 761 chipset)...

also have had no troubles with clicks or pops... stbale as ever.

i am using it with AMD XP1800+. so i had to flash the bios to accept the chip... only drawback

I use the Soltek SL-75DRV2, based on the Via KT266A. I did have an incompatibility issue because I use an SB Live! (no options, really). Once I finished with it, I wouldn't trade my setup for anything in the world! Rock-solid and killer performance.

Sang

A board I've been looking at is the GigaByte GA-7DXR+. It uses an AMD NorthBridge chipset (no VIA), has dual BIOS (whatever that means), on-board RAID, and has USB 2.0.

It looks like there's less and less sketchiness about choosing AMD nowadays. Used to be there was only one or two reliable motherboards, but now there seems to be a pretty good selection.

I think a lot of it depends on what soundcard you choose. I suggest picking a soundcard first, then emailing/contacting the manufacturers of your soundcard for compatible mobos/chipsets. Sometimes the name Via will pop up as being a good candidate, it did in mine and I'm taking the chance once I get the money. You can pray for me if you'd like :)

Back