what am i missing?

gatezk

i have 2 problems with my setup. I record onto a PC using a Omin studio from M-Audio. I have a AT 4033 mic and i have a numark turntable. I record into acid pro 3. So my questions are

1)my mic quality still does not sound as good as i had hope, should i use an outboard pre? any recomendations? should i use the pad on the mic or the Omni card?

2)when i attempt to record the turntabel i get an amazingly low signal. am i missing something? i dont use a dj mixer so thats my only guess but i figured that there could be something i could do to make it louder while perserving clarity with the Omni card. My friend said theres some turntable pre for computer soundcards for 90$ availible at samash but i dont want to buy it until ive tried with the Omni card.

-guy with his fingers crossed

1 - I gather that the preamps on the OMNI are pretty darn good. If it sounds really bad it must be another problem. Bad mic technique (singing too close or too far from the mic)?

2 - turntables do not put out a line level signal. You would be better putting it into a stereo receiver with phono inputs and then take your signal from the receiver's tape outs.

hmm

well as for my mic technique, i tend to be about 4 inches from the mic using a winscreen. its a tad close but since i have no soundbooth, i figured id rather remove the rooms reverb. it sounds decent, but it doesnt sound pro to me. maybe that comes with editing in protools or soundforge? I was also considering buying a Joemeek preamp instead of using the OMNI pre if it would sound better, what do you think?

as for the turntable, would a home stereo work as a place to plug into? it has the rca stereo ins.

thnx for the help AL

-still got his fingers crossed

1- the Omni pres are fine...exactly what about the quality are you not happy about?....they are just a good,clean pre so they wont give you as colorful of a sound like a Joe Meek or other pres, but they give good clean signals....

2- you can put your turntable thru the Omnis preamps.....

You will need some little transformers or DI boxes and a pair of rca to 1/4 adapters.

The mic inputs on the omin are low Z balanced while the output from the turntable is high Z unbalanced. The output from the turntable should be around the same as a mic. The DI box or transformer should convert the signel to low z and balance the signel.

ok cool...

ok my turntable issue is solve then. as for the mic sound, im guessing i have to learn more about editing because, i would like to release the material im working on(hiphop), and while the instruments have sounded great, the vocals havent, they still sound like a demo tape, a nice demo tape, but far from a professional release.

thnx for the help

Back