What am I missing/Doing Wrong.... Just a youngin trying to make a recording!

actorindp

Hey guys, Be Gentle. :P

I'm 17, just recorded my friends band for fun. By no means do I have superb equipment.

Here's what I used...
Mixer: (Dont Crucify me)
Behringer UB1204FX
Mics: 2 SM57s, 2 Oktava MK012's

An M-Audio Delta 44 to get the signal to my PC, and Adobe Audition to put it all together.

Monitors: Event 20/20s, the unpowered. Using an Old Dynaco to power em. Some of the older guys should appreciate that ;)

Now help me out here, what can I do to these mixes to give em a little something extra... or with the equipment I have is that about as good as its gonna get?

Here's two for you guys to check out.

Could it be mastering is what I need to do?
If thats the case, whats the easiest way for someone like me to go out and do that, besides actually paying somebody.

This is by no means a fix all idea, and I'm not even much of a recording engineer, but I remember when I realized that cutting some of the frequencies between 250hz and 400hz will take out some of the "boxy" sounds, everything started to get a whole lot better.

Also, music (like comedy) is really based around silence. It's an equal balance of what is there and what isn't there. It usually takes until a musicians mid-20's before he gets confident enough in his playing to lay back a bit. You might find the recordings will sound a lot better if you leave more air in the way the songs are performed, with a little less coming from everyone.

Read as many articles as you can, and keep plugging away. Every article is going to say that you should stay away from "fixing it in the mix", and it's totally bang on.

You might want to visit a local music store and see what it would cost to rent 4-5 microphones. Even a few SM58s and a good kick drum mic would probably help you out a great deal, and most places rent mic/cable/clip/stand for $5/day.

Thanks a lot, those look like some great articles. I need some rest before I can check them out.

Only problem I see is I dont have 8 channels or mics to do drums ;). LoL

But I did like that three mic recording technique that was somewhere on this forum!

Thanks again for your help.

If anyone could take a listen to the recordings, tell me what you think i can do to them specifically that would be great. Please if you could just stick to the mix and not the music :P

Equipment renting doesn't seem like such a bad idea.

Maybe rent a really good set of a e-drums.
That would save a lot of a aggrivation.
Or are you guys really against them?

I had a listen to one of your tunes . . . and I'm afraid it's just one of those things where you're going to have to practice and learn. Read a few books, articles, surf the web, etc. If you're really serious about it, then look at possibly taking classes and/or apprenticeships. If it's just for fun, then don't sweat it. It's going to take some time either way.

well, from what i heard. sounds like alot of the tracking was sloppy. maybe working with a metronome when you recorded that stuff would help with the overall feel of it first. and the stereo image of the guitars seemed a little wierd. the left didn't seem as far panned as the right. It also sounded like you used reverb on the guitars that didn't seem to really fit. good tone tho. and the vocals gets totally covered up when the guitars come in. those are my first impressions.

well, from what i heard. sounds like alot of the tracking was sloppy. maybe working with a metronome when you recorded that stuff would help with the overall feel of it first. and the stereo image of the guitars seemed a little wierd. the left didn't seem as far panned as the right. It also sounded like you used reverb on the guitars that didn't seem to really fit. good tone tho. and the vocals gets totally covered up when the guitars come in. those are my first impressions.

Blue bear,

I just love the drum article. Just done with recording my drummer, who insisted that the front skin of the kick was important. And yes we got a very "tubby and washed away"sound. Couldn't get any click sound even when using VERY heavy EQ. Ended up using the tom's kick backgournd noise to get somewhat decent kick sound.

Thanks alot!

Guhlenn

Back