What am i doing wrong?

macros4

I recorded a classical recital (piano and vocal) - it was a live performance and thus i used 2 Rode NT3s in X-Y config about 15 feet away from the stage. The room was somewhat boomy, but the recordings sounded very thin and distant? what should i have done differently (i have recently added 2 Behringer ECM8000s to my mic collection - would these help and where should i place them) thanx! :confused:

maybe...

i'm not compeltely sure, but i don't think you want to use the ecm8000's because they will just pick up more of the room sound. i would just try moving your microphones closer to pick up more of the actual instruments.

Hmmm ....the NT3 is a hypercardiod which makes it a pretty directional pickup pattern, so I'm wondering how wide the separation was between the two mics when you set up your X-Y...it almost sounds like the focus was off to the sides of the performers. A 30-45 degree separation might be ok at the lip of the stage but I'd tighten the angle if I was 15 feet away!

Mike

Without having the correct microphones I believe you would have been better off moving closer in. One mic for the keys, one for the vocal, and if you want to capture ambiance use your new aquisitions.

maybe stupid question, But maybe it were phase problems, if the vocal mic picked up the piano?

technique

It was bad mic technique..how high did you place the mics? Did you set the gain properly on the mixer? Were you using batteries? Maybe they were weak. Did you run a really long mic cable <over 150 ft>.. If there's any trick to learn, it's that setting up the mics properly, and taking the time to do so, is worth it, in the long run..Your option now is to normalize, and EQ, and maybe even slightly compress..and all sorts of ''oops'' tricks to get the sound better.

--Sal

PS, post a sample mp3 maybe we can figure out specifics..

Back