What am I doing wrong?

ronphotoinc

I posted over a week ago wanting anyones advice on a Tascam DP-01FX/CD
8 track digital recorder, Art Tube MP, and the MXL 990 mic.. I have had NO reponses. Surely someone out there is using some of this equiptment. I have
just joined this form a week or so ago and thought it would be a good site to
get some help from. Maybe I am doing something wrong and I am just not getting any responses being alowed in or something. Looking forward to hearing from some of you guys.
Thanks

You may need to be more specific about what you want to know.
Also there may not be that many people here that use that machine.
Maybe do a search for your model recorder and maybe you will find out what you are looking for.

ronphotoinc said:
I posted over a week ago wanting anyones advice on a Tascam DP-01FX/CD
8 track digital recorder, Art Tube MP, and the MXL 990 mic.. I have had NO reponses. Surely someone out there is using some of this equiptment. I have
just joined this form a week or so ago and thought it would be a good site to
get some help from. Maybe I am doing something wrong and I am just not getting any responses being alowed in or something. Looking forward to hearing from some of you guys.
Thanks

You haven't done anything wrong, but your question is very vague. Your first question was along the lines of "what do you like or dislike about these items?" and was posted after you had ordered them, but had not received them yet, correct? Since you'd already ordered them, you'll be the best judge of whether they work for your needs or not. It's of little value for me to tell you they are good or bad when you will have them in your hands in a few days, anyway.

Herm is right, the search feature will turn up tons of threads and it would help if you told us what you were planning to record with this setup. Also, the Tascam forum is not a super-busy forum at this site. It gets posts from tape-heads (who are also in the analog-only forum) and a few questions about some of their newer gear. Since you are asking about multiple pieces of equipment in one post, you might get more responses in the "other equipment" forum. Just a thought.

Now, since I am already posting my opinions, I'll share my thoughts on the MXL 990. It is a decent first condenser mic and has it's uses. I own 2 of them. For vocals, they are ok, but a little on the bright side. I like them for recording clean electric guitar parts. I might use them as drum overheads one of these days, but I have other mics that do that job well, so I don't have any reason to change.

The ART Tube MP, from what I've heard, is a preamp that may be useful for recording bass guitar direct, but is kind of noisy to use as a mic pre for vocals or quiet sources. If it works for you, that's great.

I know nothing of the Tascam unit, but there are many threads available with the search function.

Good luck with your recordings.

It's a very new product, so you don't have a real huge user base with experience yet.

What I've heard on these boards is that the people who have the DP-01/FX like it. There are still a fair number of new users who are trying to figure out how to get decent results from it.

The 2-mic/line inputs and 2-track-simul recording is very limiting for someone who wants to record a full drum set or band, but for homers who record a single track at a time, it's acceptable.

For older users who are accustomed to larger, more highly capable setups, the DP-01 is not that great, but for new users on their first starter system, it's fine. It beats the likes of the Fostex MR-8 by a mile, but doesn't fare that well against the newer Fostex MR-8HD. It certainly pales in comparison to something like the old 488mkII, 688 or 388. It's even less capable than the just obsoleted Tascam 788, but when you talk hardware comparisons, it's much like comparing apples and oranges in a lot of cases. The technology itself is so different from model to model, and it basically boils down to what the user expects or requires from a recording setup.

Anyway, if you had the Boss BR-864, and now are getting the Tascam DP-01/FX, then maybe you could tell us a thing or two. :confused:

Thank You

Thanks for the rdeply. I am new at this and I should have made a better post.
I play guitar, bass, keyboards, and sing. I like Santana, John Mayer, Clapton, and Sarah McLaughlan etc.. I'll be recording electric as well as accustic guitars.
I have never done any home recording before and have VERY LITTLE money to buy equiptment. So I am trying to get some good advice on what I should be buying so I don't waiste my time and money on things that just don't work. Today everything is advertised as being the best. NOT TRUE. This is where the forums and you guys come into play and help each other out.
I am going to set up the Tascam DP-01FX today and give it a go. I'll post my thoughts on how things went. Maybe even I will help someone down the road with what I learn today. Again thanks for the reply and next time maybe my post will will clearer and to the point.

Back