Nord Lead 2
Oxygen 8 USB keyboard
Moog Rogue
Sound Blaster LIVE !
Reason 2
Many native instruments VST's
Tons of step sequencing software

Heres my dilema

Everytime I sit down to the computer to attempt to compose a decent hip hop beat, it always ends up electronic or too techo-ish ! How do I go about making my own hip hop beats with my current setup ? I know its more than possible, but I just need to temporarly break myself out of this techno shell cause there is a lot to gain from this if I can make it happen. Anyone got any advice, or websites/books I should look into ?

Don't take my word for this - this is just how I'd do it.

First, work on it in layers - make sure you get a firm hip-hop sounding drum beat (if you're having problems have a listen to some of your favourite hip hop tracks for ideas)

Then work on a bassline that does the beat justice (again have a good listen to your favourite hip hop tracks for help)

If by now it's beginning to sound techno, then redo the bassline - remember to try and make it some sort of beat rather than a melody/tune.

Then just play around with tunes, etc. until you get something you like (if it starts to sound techno, just go to the last point it didn't sound techno and try again and - as always: use your fav. tracks for inspiration)

Feel free to say that this is a crap idea and I don't know what the fuck I'm doing, this is just how I would go about it.

Im with Abyss. but for me i dont start with the drums, I start with what ever i'm humming in my head. make a drum pattern to fit it( I love drums that are simple but not too simple i.e. Havoc or Dre) then bass last. some time i'll do bass second if i got something lined up all ready. after that play with different sounds and tempos. Sometimes those variables could be what is pulling you towards a certain type of track

Back