what about ProTools?

altcountry

Why do I read and hear about ProTools being the all this and all that yet I can't find it anywhere? I've looked @ Musiciansfriend, Zzsounds and a few other places with no luck. There's not even a forum dedicated to it here!

Where can one purchase this program, if it actually exists?

What is a good alternative to Protools? (I use Mac os X)

thanks in advance!

For ProTools you need to buy one of their pieces of hardware too. The cheapest one being the MBox. I think it's two inputs.

For a mac I would recomend digital performer. Digital performer 4 is very impressive. If you want to try pro-tools, try downloading pro tools free. Everyone here will tell you it sucks, but if you get it set up properly, it is stable and sounds good, plus it comes with decent free plugins, which in my opinion, sound a lot better than the plugins in nuendo. Pro tools free is limited to 8 audio tracks, but if you want to get a feel for pro tools, try it out, even though it doesn't compare very much to their much more expensive hardware and software.

Do any others (cubase, DP, sonar, others mentioned) require seperate hardware?

Also-went to the free download page for ProTools and it's only available for mac os9. Are any of the above available for mac osX? (I hate to see 'classic mac crank open) Just trying to get a head start on my research.
Thnx

Man ALT, you hit on somethin'. I think Im the only PT user here!

Here's their latest: http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--DGDMX002R
If your're lucky, you might still find a 001, which would be about half as much as the 002. I went w/PT cause it is pretty much the industry standard around the world.

(I know I'm gonna catch it for that statement, but all the whining in the world won't change the fact that it's true. So dont be offended if I don't respond to the impending hate mail ;^)

Anyway, w/OSX you can run up to 32 tracks, but only 18 I/O simultaneous. bummer. On the bright side, how often do you really need more than that?
To do that you will also need another 8 channel converter. Anything more than that in PT will cost you a Minimum 12Gs.

Of course there are more details than that... go to their website. When I got mine they had a dedicated Tech Line (phone) just for people CONSIDERING buying PT. They also sent a ton of info, including a video.

Back