What A Bout No Comp At Mastering Stage?

I know a couple mastering guys who use a couple comps at once through series (one patched into the other) or parallel (one blended into the other on 2 separate channels)

I think it can be a little heavy handed or over the top or would imagine the music would have to have a lot of space to begin with or maybe they aren't pushing them that hard at all, ...but for me the brickwall limiting is in essence an aggressive compression so you adding 2 more on top... that's 3 compressor actions which seems like a lot. I think for maybe some rare situations that might work to solve some problems, but couldn't see it being used a extensively.

understood, and I agree the process being heavy handed. I mean I never have had two compressors in the mastering chain the one I do use the settings are not even really doing anything just peak control really. So two in one chain sheessh!! someone is just along for the ride dont see the point. But like you said maybe in some "RARE" situations it could be viable. I mean I agree less is more with anything anyway.

I'd agree that for mastering, 3 compressors might be a little too much unless your getting very little GR on each comp, just getting the different characteristics of each compressor, but still sounds like 3 is a little too much.

Great question, but one best answered by a mastering engineer...and he ain't talkin"! Why would he help you guys at home when you need him to do it the right way with the right equipment. And please remember; this is not about you, this is about the question. Let' just all contribute what we know and let it go at that. I suggest you all get a book and study, then practice a lot on your stuff until you like it compared to a commercial recording that is like your music.
NewYorkRod

Great question, but one best answered by a mastering engineer...and he ain't talkin"! Why would he help you guys at home when you need him to do it the right way with the right equipment. And please remember; this is not about you, this is about the question. Let' just all contribute what we know and let it go at that. I suggest you all get a book and study, then practice a lot on your stuff until you like it compared to a commercial recording that is like your music.
NewYorkRod

:drunk:
What? lol Waltz is a mastering eng who just answered and Massive will answer any question we have? Some people just but in the wrong "end" sumtimes. (And yall wonder why I address these questions to the Pro's "ONLY!".)

Back