We've Got A New "King Of The Low End" LDC...

kidvybes

...if you believe respected Oktavamod owner Michael Joly (and why wouldn't you), it looks like there's a new winner in the low-end microphone wars...the newly "modded at the factory" MXL 2003A...according to MJ, this one rocks right outta the box...read his remarks here:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/395643-best-budget-mics-my-recommendations-12.html

...best deal is here ($169 in the cart and it includes the newer 2003"A"):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/423736-REG/MXL_PRO_PAC_PLUS_Pro_Pac_Plus.html

...anybody got one yet?...is it really this good?...

Attachments

• 423736.jpg
    423736.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 1,117
I wouldn't doubt it. I made modes to quite a few 2003 models, adding polypropylene and polycarbonate capacitors and installing K47 style capsules.

What I ended up with was beyond "usable" to down right "impressive". Mics that could easily be compared to a U87 or perhaps even a U67. I would even venture to say an U47fet if it weren't for the lack of a transformer.

You know, for an LDC with 18dBA self noise, why not save up a few pennies for the SM27 with 10dBA? I mean even I can get close to 18dBA . . .

Although the KSM27s I used to have were pretty boring mics, I've give you that. Sometimes boring is good, but I preferred the smaller KSM141s anyway. They had omni :D

Do they still have that harsh treble that almost every MXL has?

...no they do not...they have implemented the proper circuit to compliment the capsule...no more hyped top-end...that's precisely the point of this post...go back and read the links I posted for more details...

Do they still have that harsh treble that almost every MXL has? I guess I am going to have to pass on this one.

If you look at the graph for that mic, there's really no peakiness. It flatter than any previous MXL models up until some if the new lines. If they're using good components inside it will keep hysteresis introduced there shouldn't be any harsh alterations to the signal. As long as that's the case the mic should sound good.

...yeah, like Phil (HR's own resident modder) said...response is pretty flat across the board...basically, they finally took note of what so many of the modders have been saying for a long time, that the circuit they were coupling to these chinese K67 capsules did not compensate for the capsule's brightness (as in the original U87 circuits)...so now they are using the corrected circuit and the K170 FET (as in Joly's V67G mod) and they're getting surprisingly close to U87 territory (as per Michael Joly)...nothing wrong with that for such a low cost factor... ;)

Joly is like the Monte Allums of Microphones. For a decent price he can make a so-so mic sound really great. The good thing about Mike, even though it can be seen somewhat as advertising, he gives you truthful information about products out there and mods. I think at that price it would be a great grab and even better with a mod.

...so now they are using the corrected circuit and the K170 FET (as in Joly's V67G mod) and they're getting surprisingly close to U87 territory (as per Michael Joly)...

Minor clarification - The K170 is a commonly used, low-noise FET found in the stock 2003A and most FET condenser mics for that matter. Neither I nor Jim Williams use this FET in our mods - we each prefer alternate FETs that present less capacitive loading to the capsule and are less "congested" (as Jim puts it) or "snappier" (as I put it) than the K170.

Minor clarification - The K170 is a commonly used, low-noise FET found in the stock 2003A and most FET condenser mics for that matter. Neither I nor Jim Williams use this FET in our mods - we each prefer alternate FETs that present less capacitive loading to the capsule and are less "congested" (as Jim puts it) or "snappier" (as I put it) than the K170.

...thanks for the clarification Michael... ;)

Do they still have that harsh treble that almost every MXL has? I guess I am going to have to pass on this one.

I have to agree with you, I too have yet to find one MXL mic that I found spectacular or that wasn't harsh in the upper midrange. If this new MXL is the "New King Of The Low End LDCs," then I suspect the mic kingdom may be in a heap of trouble.

...if you believe respected Oktavamod owner Michael Joly (and why wouldn't you), it looks like there's a new winner in the low-end microphone wars...the newly "modded at the factory" MXL 2003A...according to MJ, this one rocks right outta the box...read his remarks here:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/395643-best-budget-mics-my-recommendations-12.html

Here's a quote from Michael Joli from the gearslutz thread:

"I find MXL to be a fascinating company. They are like the old 45 rpm record companies - release lots of shit, see what sticks, then try to do follow ups. In this case it is, "see what the mod'ers do, then follow them".

I find nothing fascinating about dumping a lot of mediocre mics on consumers with the hope that one sticks. Had MXL conducted better research from the get-go, I would still be buying their mics.

I have to agree with you, I too have yet to find one MXL mic that I found spectacular or that wasn't harsh in the upper midrange.

...then you missed the V77 tube mic...no harsh top-end, no "smiley-face" response graph...smooth and balanced throughout...a favorite of Harvey Gerst...still sought after...I have one with an upgraded NOS GE 5-Star 6072 in it, and it rivals mics costing 4-5 times what I paid for it...

Here's a quote from Michael Joli from the gearslutz thread:

"I find MXL to be a fascinating company. They are like the old 45 rpm record companies - release lots of shit, see what sticks, then try to do follow ups. In this case it is, "see what the mod'ers do, then follow them".

...the point here is, you can buy a decent entry-level mic for $100 (MXL V67G) and have it modded by any of the respected techs for about $200 (I have one modded by JJ Audio and it is amazing for the price)...
...or, you can now purchase the 2003A for around $150 (half the price) with similar tweaking done at the factory...then, if you're in the mood to step it up in the future, there are some additional tweaks that won't break the bank, but take an already "very good" LDC to "great"...

...I haven't actually heard the new 2003A myself yet, but when a respected mic tech like Joly rants about an off-the-shelf cheap mic, I pay attention...
...until I heard some of the cheap modded mics, I wasn't a believer, but now that I've had the opportunity to work with some of these mics, I'm impressed...I know what the upgraded V67G sounds like (and I've brought it to other studios and A/B'd it against some very expensive boutique LDCs, only to find it holds it's own...not just my opinion, but the opinion of the in-house engineers as well)...so when MJ compares the stock 2003A to the modded V67G, then I would say confidently, this is the best $150 stock LDC mic you're gonna find, regardless of nameplate...

...many years ago, David Royer took a really harsh MXL 2001, and with a very few components and some soldering skills, came up with a killer LDC (now the Mojave MA-200) for cheap...so my only question is "why did it take MXL so long to get it right?"... ;)

...then you missed the V77 tube mic...no harsh top-end, no "smiley-face" response graph...smooth and balanced throughout...a favorite of Harvey Gerst...still sought after...I have one with an upgraded NOS GE 5-Star 6072 in it, and it rivals mics costing 4-5 times what I paid for it...

...the point here is, you can buy a decent entry-level mic for $100 (MXL V67G) and have it modded by any of the respected techs for about $200 (I have one modded by JJ Audio and it is amazing for the price)...
...or, you can now purchase the 2003A for around $150 (half the price) with similar tweaking done at the factory...then, if you're in the mood to step it up in the future, there are some additional tweaks that won't break the bank, but take an already "very good" LDC to "great"...

...I haven't actually heard the new 2003A myself yet, but when a respected mic tech like Joly rants about an off-the-shelf cheap mic, I pay attention...
...until I heard some of the cheap modded mics, I wasn't a believer, but now that I've had the opportunity to work with some of these mics, I'm impressed...I know what the upgraded V67G sounds like (and I've brought it to other studios and A/B'd it against some very expensive boutique LDCs, only to find it holds it's own...not just my opinion, but the opinion of the in-house engineers as well)...so when MJ compares the stock 2003A to the modded V67G, then I would say confidently, this is the best $150 stock LDC mic you're gonna find, regardless of nameplate...

...many years ago, David Royer took a really harsh MXL 2001, and with a very few components and some soldering skills, came up with a killer LDC (now the Mojave MA-200) for cheap...so my only question is "why did it take MXL so long to get it right?"... ;)

I as well have a V77 with a nos tube and it is right up there with many of the greats....just my humble opinion mind you.

:cool:

I guess I don't see the point in buying an MXL then spending more money to mod it when I can just as easily buy an Audio Technica that already sounds good and doesn't need any modification.

When I purchase a mic it's because I am knocked out by the sound. I would never purchase a mic where the sound was lackluster from the outset, only to throw more money at it via a mod. The other side of the coin is that most mods aren't all that great and do more for lining the pockets of the people selling the mods. This isn't to say that there aren't great mods out there. But it's pretty hard to turn a KIA into a Benz.

What about ADK A-51 MK5.1 at $170, it should be right there, contender to be the king of low end.

Back