Wet Capsule

riley357

HR MUSE
What is the highest Relative Humidity that is safe for a room where mics are stored?

All mics are stored in cases or original boxes with silica gel packs.

My closet is right off the bath. RH ranges from approximately 30% to 60% (for short periods of time), and averages about 45%. Is this too high for storing condensor mics?

the higher the relative humidity the more likely internal components of any electronic device will rust or oxidize.

I would say if you left them in that sort of environment over a period of time they are more at risk than mics in a dry climate.

So many factors, such as type of mic/mic materials

as a general rule I keep all electronics in the dryest possible climate as I can and I believe that would prolong their life.

seeing that your mics are in cases that will greatly decrease the affected rh on them. really depends on how critical you are

im not an expert in this dept. but thought id help :)

Its best if you wash them with ordinary household bleach.:D

You can keep them in supperware between that and the silica gel things will stay dry.

Regarding gel packs, I read somewhere on this site that they lose their effectiveness VERY quickly; that to restore them, you have to bake them for a bit in a low-temp oven. Obviously, specifics are key here ("Hi honey, what's for dinner?" "Silica flambe!"). Maybe start another thread asking about these if a search doesn't dredge up the conversation?

You could try one of those ammo boxes from an army surplus store. I bought one for my mics if I need to take them anywhere, not only are they fucking rugged as hell, they're also air tight. So pop your mics in there with the gel and you shouldn't have any problems. Mine cost only 8 bucks.

Look for (empty) boxes of stinger warheads. Great for storing things like mics! Army surplus is great for things like this. But be prepared to do some serious cleaning.

Well, the bathroom is not ideal. Do you really have no other space? Mics are not exactly that big. This would be the more simple solution.

Regarding baking gel packs, do not use a gas oven, they are to moist due to the burning of the gas giving water vapour.

cool nik d

i'm in the military and i will snatch some ammo boxes first thing monday. where do i go for the gel?

i like to leave my mics set up in my basement workspace. i think the humidity makes them sound better but i try to keep it below 70%.

jeap said:
i like to leave my mics set up in my basement workspace. i think the humidity makes them sound better but i try to keep it below 70%.

hehe - welcome back jeap. we all thought you'd up and died or somethin'. try storing your mic's in your septic tank - that way if someone says your tracks sound like shit, you can say... oh, never mind.

but seriously, your best friend for controlling humidity is your air conditioner.

I work in a lab and that blue self indicating silica gel is easy to get from a lab supply. It get's sold in big bags. And you do need to re-heat it if it goes pink (hence self indicating!) - overnight at 110 deg C.

If your really serious you could also get a lab dessicator too... (can get cheaper plastic ones) but any air-tight container will do. In the lab, if you want to keep things really really dry you put things under a nitrogen atmosphere or use a vacuum desicator or even some really serious dessicant like phosphorus pentoxide... but thats just silly ;)

Back