We're Gonna Do It (In the Butt)

Wow. I've always claimed not to like DI acoustics too, but here the strong arrangement, melody, concept, humor and that awesome vocal performance carry this one nicely. Very catchy.

Ray and VHS, thanks for defending my tune. The rest of you, thank you for tearing it apart. There's one thing I'm puzzled about, though. Why the aversion to DI acoustic? I mic it for practically every song I record but I liked the plastic-y feel in this setting. I don't think it's a bad or cheap sound -- it's just a sound like any other, right?

Yes it's just a sound like any other. Just like a fart or nails on a chalkboard are just sounds.

"defending"? Is that how you see what all this is about? Weird.

Weird? In regard to the lyrics, I do think it was a defense. In a musical sense, not so much. People can like or dislike the way something sounds (I happen to like dart sounds, Greg) but to be put off by such a stupid, silly lyric is really lame. Everybody these days is looking for reasons to become offended and I can't see how it's healthy to brood over every joke that doesn't adhere to some kind of self-appointed guideline.

Last edited:

Last edited:
OH well, that's something else. But only one person was "offended" by the lyrics. That's what you're dwelling on? Yes, I do find that weird., but that's just my opinion. Everyone else was pretty constructive with their comments, I think. For you to say "thanx for defending my song", it came off as if you didn't like the fact that not everyone said it was awesome.Kind of ironic that you'd say that. :)

Again, why? What are you reading as contempt? People tore it apart. That's what this forum is for. I was REALLY thanking everybody. And, offended ... was it I only one?

Last edited:
I don't like rapey lyrics. They weren't even clever or funny lyrics. You can get away with rapey lyrics if it's tongue-in-cheek, but these weren't, in my opinion. I'm not "offended" per se, because being offended is somewhat lame as has been pointed out. Sometimes people get offended if you take the name of Jeebus or Mohammed in vain; sometimes they get offended if you say the Fuck word. I'm saying that I don't like a lyric that says "we're going to do it in the butt and you're going to like it". Some women are in that situation - hell, some MEN are. That shit isn't right as far as I'm concerned.

offended ... was it I only one?

I mean, I was kinda offended by the "too/poo" rhyme but only because that joke feels amateurish and juvenile. (The "stick in my shoe/and maybe my tootsies too" the second time version was much better.)

:D

A pretty weird song for sure. Vocal performance was not easy I'm sure. But it was well done. I wasn't a fan of the style, but I can appreciate the performance.

I'm not usually a fan of DI acoustic guitars, and I wasn't here. Doubled acoustics, if they were well recorded, would be perfect for this tune.

I liked the bass. I thought it was a little bit loud. But it had great definition. Might be just a bit too clean - as in lacking some low mids - but just a bit, if at all.

The electric guitars sounded good to me. That rhythm guitar that comes in late in the song on the right side sounded particularly nice.

Drums were OK. I'm mostly hearing just a kick and snare. Toms here and there, but no cymbals. You have space in the upper end for some sizzle. I'd use it.

Wow, interesting response this song has provoked. I too think that the lyrics weren't really clever enough to carry the joke, but the tune was a very catchy pop ditty.

What really kept me listening though was the vocal performance - absolutely phenomenal in my opinion. The production was all ok to me. Nothing was really bad. But the vocal performance was the main thing that kept me listening all the way through. Big props on that!

Wow, interesting response this song has provoked. I too think that the lyrics weren't really clever enough to carry the joke, but the tune was a very catchy pop ditty.

What really kept me listening though was the vocal performance - absolutely phenomenal in my opinion. The production was all ok to me. Nothing was really bad. But the vocal performance was the main thing that kept me listening all the way through. Big props on that!

Thank you very much! I feel like I should say one thing, though: people keep bringing up the lack of cleverness in the lyrics but I wasn't really trying to be clever or funny. I was trying to write a pop song about something atypical. The radio has been filled with guys singing about sex for years -- some misogynistic, some not, all blatant -- and this song is just a different way of looking at that formula, really. If you have a guy singing about having sex with other men in the same nonchalant, boorish way, it's taken as inappropriate or bland comedy. I didn't mean it to be either. It's just a song with no real intent.

Thanks for listening and I really appreciate you (and others) complimenting my vocal performance so highly. I don't really feel like I did anything to deserve praise in that regard. I just kind of opened my face and made noise. :p All the same, I appreciate the compliment(s) very much!

Last edited:
If you have a guy singing about having sex with other men in the same nonchalant, boorish way, it's taken as inappropriate or bland comedy.

If you're gonna be subversive, people are gonna expect jokes.

Maybe you should have gone for more of a Three Day's Grace "bro-rock" kind of sound to make that point? :D

Turbonegro does songs about gay sex, drag queens, S&M violence, rape, midgets, etc all the time. And they're fucking witty about it. That's how you do it.

OK ... OK ... Would it ease anybody's opinion if said the song was born when I was singing I Got You, Babe completely baked and forgot the words?
Like I said, I wasn't trying to make a point. I just recorded something. Baked. Like ... pretty damn baked. That's all.

Back