welllll! my mics sound like crap, do do do.

Tremaine

Chancellor of the EOPA
High Fellows
my mic recordings sound very pitchy, im using reaper threw a delta lt 10/10 pci card, with dyanimic mics in the card and a behringer mixer for phantom power <condenser mic>. i turned the gains down. <for the card, mixer and daw> to no avail. i do not have a proper sound box built <maybe its my crapy acustics bouncing around?>, the mics sound pitchy both when i sing, and mic my amps. <the mics arnt great, condenser is ok <150$ audiotecnica>.

so any tips for me to try, right now im cutting out most of the high end on the eq, but i dont think its the proper solution.

thanks for your time dudes.
Tremaine

What do you mean by 'pitchy'? Can you put a sample somewhere of your recording so others can hear what you mean?

When I think about pitchy, I think about the personing singing. I think you should post a sample if you dont know the correct term for what your experiencing because you will get a flood of "learn how to sing" replies if you dont lol. Just saying.

ok point taken, but my guitar sounds the same threw driffent mics, and im pretty sure it sings in tune <it does>. its not my crapy singing ability im refering to.
the problem: i get this weird kinda in the back ground, ugly treble. threw every mic, in every recording. vox or instrumental.
so its eather the sound card or reaper settings, i think. <the amp sounds fine with real music played threw it. and so did the behringer mixer, when it went straight into the amp <and then i recorded on a cassette tape>.

im on 28.8k moden, so i aint planing on uploading in the near future. <plus i dont wanna figure out how to> maybe i'll record sometihng tonight for you fokes.

im pretty sure its just some dumb newbie problem. something im overlooking.
like reverb <but i read about mic booths,and it seems they are all hype> or
maybe im to loud? but i dont think so. i keep the guitar at -6 decibles, and try to do the same with vox. <i turn down the guitar amp or back up to achieve this>

maybe the hardware/software is out of sync?@?#?$

crap now i got to rite a cripey song...

wellll! my mics sound like crap.
and the record buttons to far away.

gutta go, later fokes.
Peace
Tremaine

the problem: i get this weird kinda in the back ground, ugly treble. threw every mic, in every recording. vox or instrumental.

Could it be room noise? Your computer? Ventilation? Are you recording with your monitors on? Maybe it's feedback. Definitely need a clip to hear what you're talking about.

You DO know that 80% of your sound is the ROOM, dont you???

You can have $8000 Neumanns going into Appogee converters but if the room stinks so will the sound....

Could it be room noise? Your computer? Ventilation? Are you recording with your monitors on? Maybe it's feedback. Definitely need a clip to hear what you're talking about.

i never thought of room noise, and i didnt realize 80% was the room, i new it had influence, but not that much.

yes my monitor was on, and it does make noise, in the future i will turn it off, and i'll insulate the tower <with a blanket.hope it dont over heat, dout it will thou.>

i'll run some tests tonight and record yu'all something.

cool guys, thanks for info.
its hard for the unschooled to search sometimes, if you dont know the right words.

and i'll insulate the tower <with a blanket.hope it dont over heat, dout it will thou.>

Don't make that assumption. Today's computers put out A LOT of heat. I don't recommend covering the computer. You should try other methods; moving the mic to another room, replacing cooling fans, power supplies with quieter ones. Maybe build a ventilated iso box.

If you're using a cadioid mic, you can face the back of the mic towards the computer.

its hard for the unschooled to search sometimes, if you dont know the right words.

I hear ya, we all started there at one time. Some of us are still there... after many years... won't name names.... :o

i was singing with my back kinda to the puter, never thought of that eather.

i got some peaces of foam out in the barn, i'll bring one of them in and lean it againts the puter, instead of giving it a blanket. im probably gunna need the blanket anyway, getting cold. frost the last couple nights.

well herd dude, thanks.

i was just thinking, if i wanted to chuck up a heavy sleeping bag for a sound booth, do you think it wood be more importain to place the barrier behind me, instead of in front? with a cadioid mic. <witch is alot of cheeper dyanimic mic's right?>

i think therefore i am.

Heavy sleeping bag? Im not the acoustics guy or soundproofing guy here but Id say....no. Soundproofing takes mass!! Lots of it!! Im sure it will may do "something" but not much. What are you recording into? Interface? have you played any other music through the computer that you didnt record? Is it just recorded audio?

Although im still confused on what your actual problem is. I would say definitly try and post a sample. If not we will not be able to help you pinpoint and there will be a ton of guesses.

i hear you man, i just gutta wait for the young fella to go to bed, so i can play.

im pretty sure its anything that goes in a mic, threw the puter, and out the speakers <not all monitor speakers, but if i play cd's threw on the puter disk drive they sound normal. i never tryed pluging a cd player into the card thou. but the sound still goes out threw the card, threw the same cable.>

interface = delta lt 10-10
daw = reaper
but if i use the condenser mic, the mic goes into a behringer mixing with phantom power, then into the interface, minupluated by the reaper and back out the card, threw my kenwood amp...

but if i just plug a dynamic mic into the sound card i get the same cripey noise. witch might be the puter...

the point of my other question wasnt answered " with a cartaroid <sp> mic, is it more importain to have the barrier behid you..." i suppose it is thou.

Heavy sleeping bag? Im not the acoustics guy or soundproofing guy here but Id say....no. Soundproofing takes mass!! Lots of it!! Im sure it will may do "something" but not much. ..

Isolation takes mass (and a tight seal), absorption takes some depth and some sq feet'. :D

Welll!
i turned the mic around and it seems to have done the trick, i also backed up a little from the mic, and wiggled the gains around. would have uploaded sometihng but there was nothing to upload, problem solved? pending further investigation. i gutta run some more tests tongiht, last night i wasnt in the spirit <worked all day.>

Also don"t record a track while listening to another track on your monitors , Use Headphones when Tracking use monitors when Monitoring , you don"t want what is coming out of the monitors to be recorded through the mic ....

Cheers

Also don"t record a track while listening to another track on your monitors , Use Headphones when Tracking use monitors when Monitoring , you don"t want what is coming out of the monitors to be recorded through the mic ....

Cheers

yea, i actually figure that one out myself. i'd say on day one or two. good advice thou dude.

i think every things as good as its getting, for now.
freaking guitar amps buzz.

hey minion, can i plug my digitec guitar pedal into the sound card? i bet you can, if you know what gear to put it in.... im using it for reverb, but atm its chained to the mixer and apparently this in ineffective if one wished to use a virtual compressor at some point. damn nabbit!

i guess i gutta figure out the freakin digital drum crap, i got real drums, but it will be a while before i can get proper mic's.

blah blah blah

Thanks for the help!

Back