Well-Mixed Mainstream Albums

ndycus1

I was just reading a thread about the worst mainstream mixes. So, I decided to start my own about the best. So, what are your opinions of the most well-mixed mainstream albums from the past 10 years?

"Figured You Out" from Nickleback just floored me the first time I played it on my studio monitors. Really great rock production.

The album "Absolution" by Muse is an utter knockout.

Cornelius is a studio genius. Check out his album "Point."

-aaron

Define "mainstream". We all live on different rivers. On the musical shores where I live a band like "Nickelback" as about as backwater tributary as you can get, whereas the stuff that flows by the ears in my orbit of musically-minded associates on a regular and repeating basis is miles away from what many others here consider "mainstream".

G.

I don't know about the "best" but a couple realy good ones are:
Sara Maclaughclin "Fumbling Towards Ecstacy"
Tom Petty "Wildflowers"

TexRoadkill said:
I don't know about the "best" but a couple realy good ones are:
Sara Maclaughclin "Fumbling Towards Ecstacy"
Tom Petty "Wildflowers"

Yeah, Wildflowers is one of my all-time favorites. Every track is a gem.

Another one I always thought was extremely well done is Close To The Edge (Yes).

Has anyone heard the recent (about a year old now) Los Lobos CD? There's a rawness to it that I really like. Can't really put my finger on it.

Well-mixed? Mainstream? Hmmm. Off the top of my head ...

Peter Gabriel, Steely Dan, Radiohead, Norah Jones, Brian Wilson, and Dr. Dre.

silverchair - diorama
incubus - morning view
buena vista social club (produced by ry cooder)

they are probably my top 3
.. oh and maybe the postal service album give up, but im not sure how much is due to the artist rather than the producer

my top 3, in no perticular order and all for completely different reasons

nirvana-in utero
counting crows-this desert life
tool-aenema

the crows one is probably the closest thing to a suprise on that list
something about it i really like though. it's like the best giradge recording ever.

chessrock said:
Two more:

Ben Folds and Fiona Apple.
Here's a nice surprise...if I can remember half the stuff my wife tells me I'm lucky, so in the CD store I remembered Ben something...Ben Harper! haha

Anyway I got home with Ben Harper and the blind boys of alabama "there will be a light" mixed by jimmy hoyson (no mastering credits!!!). The balance on that thing is really fine, the bass is even slightly punchy and overall very nice mix and mastering job. Very now sound but uncrushed...

Another one that it really gorgeous is The Blue Hawiians "Savage Night" CD mixed by Michael Frondelli, mastered by Doug Sax. A real nice balance guys - music is mellow lush grass skirt blues & surf for the midnight hour... ;) Timeless...got a whiskey and a smoke?

PS - the last apple they had was from 1996...what's the one you have?

I've been enjoying Maria Muldaur's Richland Woman Blues. A fine job of engineering and mastering acoustic blues. Also, just heard Paul Anka's Rock Swings - whether you like the songs or not, the recording sounds great.

kylen said:
Here's a nice surprise...if I can remember half the stuff my wife tells me I'm lucky, so in the CD store I remembered Ben something...Ben Harper! haha

That's pretty cool that your wife knows good mixes. :D Yea, Ben Harper's stuff sounds great. And even though I'm not a big-time Ben Harper fan or anything ... his stuff just sounds outstanding.

PS - the last apple they had was from 1996...what's the one you have?

All of Fiona Apples mixes sound great. I was thinking of "When the Pawn" in particular. Very simple, stripped-down, etc. Her vocals sound perfect, basically. Perfectly comressed, balanced, etc. The drums always sound perfect ... even the samples / loops.

I don't know just how "mainstream" some of this stuff is anymore, but frankly, there aren't a whole lot of well-mixed comercial/mainstream CD's that have come out in the last 8 years anyway.

some opinions

the N.E.R.D. album that came out in 2002 is mixed really well and sounds great.. a few more, the chronic 2001 by Dr. Dre, great sound.

Jaylib (jay dee and madlib) while the album musically is weak, the sonic is great....

The Black album by Jay Z, sounds great to me.

I always thought Stone Temple Pilots, Core (i think that was their first album) sounded great.

EddieRay said:
Yeah, Wildflowers is one of my all-time favorites. Every track is a gem.

Another one I always thought was extremely well done is Close To The Edge (Yes).

Has anyone heard the recent (about a year old now) Los Lobos CD? There's a rawness to it that I really like. Can't really put my finger on it.

If you like that Los Lobos, cehck out the spin off band, The Latin Playboys, very raw, very cool music. Not sure if it would qualify as mainstream or well recorded mixed, but it has found its way into my regular rotaion of music.
Edit album name = Dose.
Daav

daav said:
If you like that Los Lobos, cehck out the spin off band, The Latin Playboys, very raw, very cool music. Not sure if it would qualify as mainstream or well recorded mixed, but it has found its way into my regular rotaion of music.
Edit album name = Dose.
Daav

Aha! Thanks for the tip! I'll see if I can locate it.

Someone mentioned Paul Anka's new CD. I agree - it was very well done!
My wife and I have been enjoying that one. It's hard to believe some of those tunes can be done Swing-style but Paul makes them sound very natural.

chessrock said:
All of Fiona Apples mixes sound great. I was thinking of "When the Pawn" in particular. Very simple, stripped-down, etc. Her vocals sound perfect, basically. Perfectly comressed, balanced, etc. The drums always sound perfect ... even the samples / loops.
Ah yes ...thanks - just got back from Streetlight with a used copy, from 1999 it looks like. At least I won't be seeing the red lights on my converters!!! Queueing it up right now... ;)

Back