welcome; stop on by

toobalicious

yes really!

also the title of the song--- a bobby womack cover.

ive been working in a variety/cover band lately, and i guess it is rubbing off. threw this together in a couple of afternoons. bobby has a unique voice, and perhaps i do not, lol. i felt like i got the vocals kinda hot. and yes, there is distortion :eek: . im tryin, bobby!

http://www.mediafire.com/?1gsl0mxxx23

Yeah the vocals get a little hot in spots - like at the beginning of the chorus'. Other than that I thought this was a very cool mix. Don't think I've heard anyone do this style here - is it Motown? Bet your band is booked solid if you are doing this kind of material.....:cool:

Yeah the vocals get a little hot in spots - like at the beginning of the chorus'. Other than that I thought this was a very cool mix. Don't think I've heard anyone do this style here - is it Motown? Bet your band is booked solid if you are doing this kind of material.....:cool:

heya. nah, not motown--- pretty sure mr womack was with UA (united artists) when this tune came out.
this and the cocker tune is all my playing. but yea, the band does stuff in this general vein: "real" motown (the detroit stuff), atlantic, and stax stuff---the funkier stuff leading up to disco--- as well as a few requisite ballads and "favorites". i have also found myself 20 minutes deep into the main progression of "electric slide" more than once :eek::eek::eek::eek:. about as musically fulfilling as playing "purple haze" on an oboe.

i am the bassist in the band, and the drummer has a lot more zing than i do (on drums). when i do stuff like this, i just try to find the pocket and stay there. he is an "educated" drummer, and he plays/sounds like it, which is exciting.

a

BTW, any suggestions on smoothing the vocals out without making sound shittier than they do already? i admittedly have only OK mic control, and much less so when i start belting it out. i do stay back from the mic to hopefully reduce sibilance, but my style is kind of unrefined, and seemingly with a fine line between "delivering with power" and "just plain yelling". consequently, my levels are kind of all over the place. i am working on it, though!

i have two compressors on the lead vocal--- one is low ratio/fast attack for a saturation of sorts (which usually works pretty good for me), and the other is at more like 4:1, but with a more relaxed attack. i know this is probably bass-ackwards to some folks, but i have had at least decent results with this method in the past. not exactly hi-fi, but it seems to control dynamics without mooshing the consonant sounds so bad. intelligible vocals are very important to me, even if they end up being a little hot in the mix. i wish i could master the "motown" parallel compression thing, but making it sound natural has been sort of elusive to me.
also, the background vox. like a queefe, i mixed them to a stereo track to make mixing easier. heh, yeah right. i realize that they sound different solo'd than they do with rest of the track--- of course, i sub-mixed them without the music. i tried mashing the crap out of them, but it sounded terrible. i still have the individual tracks, so i guess a remix is the best answer. the falsetto harmonies are way too loud IMO, while the "whispered" stuff is just lost.

anyway, feel free to comment, or to tell me i suck or whatever, lol.

a

I use a medium male vocal comp setting on the way in too but it is subtle. I still find it lets in some dynamics. I really need to work on my compressor skills. I'm not sure of the settings but it's like 2:1 and threshold set to -35db or something. It's hard to know what the preset does and what the knobs do so it could be a bit of both. I ride the vocal faders on the mixdown anyway because of the dynamics. That's what I would suggest....:)

TOOBALICIOUS:
I wasn´t expecting that should be better than "woman to woman" , but it is...:cool::cool:
Band is perfect!
Killer vocals (please, don´t touch in the mix...)
Left guitar is doubling w/ horns? Pretty good too...
"B" part absolutely rocks!!! (maybe it´s the reason I like this more than "woman...",
the "jazzy" key changes).

"you must spread some reputation around before giving it to toobalicious again":

*Congrats, again !

Ciro
www.soundclick.com/ciromoreau

Last edited:
TOOBALICIOUS:
I wasn´t expecting that should be better than "woman to woman" , but it is...:cool::cool:
Band is perfect!
Killer vocals (please, don´t touch in the mix...)
Left guitar is doubling w/ horns? Pretty good too...
"B" part absolutely rocks!!! (maybe it´s the reason I like this more than "woman...",
the "jazzy" key changes).

"you must spread some reputation around before giving it to toobalicious again":

*Congrats, again !

Ciro
www.soundclick.com/ciromoreau
heya, thanks for the listen and kind words. actually, i played all parts---it is cheaper that way lol..... :rolleyes::rolleyes:
the doubled part is guitar and a sampled hohner clavinet. strings are softsynth as well--- from the reason "orkester" refill. no horns, but i was tempted.
also thanks for the rep. (or attempted rep).
ill check out your soundclick page soon.

The more I listen this song, the better it sounds.
What a great performance and recording!

Sorry, I had to post again...:):cool:

Ciro

hey, thanks for that.

sunshine to a cloudy day

warm and fuzzy

all of that..

BTW, youve got some interesting stuff on your SC site.

to anyone reading, i recommend you go give it a listen. good stuff!

Back