weirdest "composition habitat"........

yiordanaki

Hey, I was just wondering (after reading about smilestoned's routine), Whats the weirdest time/place that you've come up with some good lyrics or ideas for songs???

It'd be nice to compare and maybe there'll be an overall majority (so I can just do that activity when i wanna write!)

if you can understand what im saying - feel free to speak up

yiordanaki

I bring a composition notebook to the local pub and start to write lyrics on saturday afternoons with a pint of Guinness. Gotten about seven songs this way.

The best part though is that one of two things invariably happens; a, I really do write music, have a beer and keep to myself or b, some hot chick thinks I'm all introspective and intelligent, which of course I am, and interrupts to talk to me.

It's the best way to pick up women that I know. I figure its a win-win situation...

stone

I wrote the bulk of my first album on the balcony outside my room at the Argyle Hotel in Hollywood.. Overlooking the Sunset Strip.

Man, them songs have that memory for me too.. whenever I play the album....

If you click the link, you can see a pic... I was in the second down from top corner suite with the curved corner glass closest to you (when viewing the picture)

If you hold your pointer over "location" You can see the exact balcony.....

Joe
http://www.argylehotel.com/home.html

My best song was written while I was in the Navy. I was standing at inspection in Pensacola, Florida on the runway of a closed Naval Air Base. I was trying to stand still and look nice for the inspection and thinking about my girl to take my mind off how much my feet hurt and how hot it was in the sun. Apparently, I did a good job with the song, we've been married 33 years.

SITTIN IN THE MIDDLE OF CLASS...........INSTEAD OF SLEEPIN ACTUALLY WRIGHTING LYRICS.......IM GETTIN SLUGGISH CAUSE IM BUILDING THE STUDIO BUT ONCE ITS DONE I WILL GET ON IT AGAIN..........PEACE

I need absolute solitude.....no distractions.............

and a good supply of fermented Barley and hops....:D

stonepiano said:
I bring a composition notebook to the local pub and start to write lyrics on saturday afternoons with a pint of Guinness. Gotten about seven songs this way.

The best part though is that one of two things invariably happens; a, I really do write music, have a beer and keep to myself or b, some hot chick thinks I'm all introspective and intelligent, which of course I am, and interrupts to talk to me.

It's the best way to pick up women that I know. I figure its a win-win situation...

stone

Cool! "Multitasking" :) ..I gotta try that!

Don

eastern MT.

driving in a 77 Toyota pickup - it's got a dirty camper shell on the back...SO dirty it's almost reflective.

Out there in the middle of nowhere, I'd notice that it seemed cars were suddenly coming up on me in the rear view mirror, but what was happening was they were in front of me, and the headlights bounced off the back dirty windows into my mirror.

a few weeks later, I had this lyric which nailed down a chorus in a song.

"The road ahead is in my rear view mirror when I drive" -

a good take on the ol' "One Step Forward, Two steps back" line, but inspired by the hokiest situation...LOL

RB

Rubarb, I had something like that happen to me once. I was just driving along, when a sheriff pulled up in front...or was it behind me?, then busted me for possession.

Most recently the strangest habitat was the waiting room of a public health clinic where I was absolutely dreading my appointment. Two hookers were sitting next to me waiting for their methadone shots and the atmosphere was a little more depressing than usual. Suddenly, I looked up and there was a beautiful young Mexican woman standing at the Internal Medicine window. She just smiled at me and it was the nicest gesture, considering the surroundings. By the time I got to see my doctor, I had the chorus and two verses written.

I don't write very often, but when I do it comes to me in a flash, like a vison blazed across the clowds and I just write it down. Mostly the whole song is done in about 20 mins. When I try to write something it never works.

thanks for the replies and hints guys.

Some of those stories are pretty amazing.

Unfortunately all that has come out of this is that the BEST PLACE is different for everybody so i guess i should start looking!

thanks again

yiordanaki

In the shower...it's always in the shower. Must be the pink noise...no I don't write gay love ballads..not that there's anything wrong with that...I better shut up.

Back