Weird.... Viking....Thing....

Jericho75

Just for your aural enjoyment, an off the wall viking battle song. Because there just isn't enough ya know! YARR!!

To be serious, I was actually trying to mimic large group chant/chorus type vocals, and this is kind of what I got. Any tips other than recording multiple vocal tracks with slightly different EQ's distances from mics and actual mics, would be appreciated.

https://soundcloud.com/the-jericho-saga/heed-the-call

^^fixed^^

Last edited:
I think it's actually quite cool. The guitar's rhythm in a few spots seems to clash with the vocals' rhythm. I honestly don't know how to give you any pointers, but there seems to be something missing. I'm comparing it to Amon Amarth, and your mix seems to be a little thin.

If you weren't heading in that direction at all, then forgive me :p

I agree, it does seem thin and a bit lifeless(I'm mainly concerned with vocals at this point). I suppose the best solution would be gathering all my buds, get them blasted and then have them all la la la la in some longhouse. But that ain't gonna happen. Sounds kinda fun actually!

Theaquired, Amon Amarth do a lot of speed picking and 2 guitarists harmonising very down tuned guitars (think it might be tuned to B, not even drop B but just B). Amon are awesome but it's not really comparable apart from the theme :)

This is more like korpiklaani or something :). It's sort of fighting/ drinking music. I quite like it.

Sound wise it sounds muffled. I think (and this is a big think) that you should up the drums a bit, lower the vocals and work on making them stand out at a lower volume. Could you do 2 guitar tracks with different sounds and pan them each side maybe? Certainly I feel that upping the drums will bring out the guitar more.

Thanks man. I will definitely work on the drum and vox levels. The guitars were quickly slapped together through a guitar sim, but I will re-record them using my JVM1. They were recorded 1 panned hard each side with a center, all same eq's and patch. Maybe with the better guitar work and recording the song as a whole (and with the drum and vox tweaks) will sound fuller.

The guitar's rhythm in a few spots seems to clash with the vocals' rhythm.

It sounds like he's having trouble choosing between a 4/4 and 6/8 feel on this thing, which does result in some awkward rhtythms.

The vocals might sound better if you transposed the song up a step or two. It sounds like you're hitting the very bottom of your range and losing a few notes.

Theaquired, Amon Amarth do a lot of speed picking and 2 guitarists harmonising very down tuned guitars (think it might be tuned to B, not even drop B but just B). Amon are awesome but it's not really comparable apart from the theme :)

I totally agree. What I meant was that I was comparing Amon's mixes to this mix. As they are of a similar genre, and they have much thicker mixes, and I felt this mix was missing some of the necessary frequencies. (Lower range mostly)

I would also try upping the drums and just checking through the EQs on all the instruments. I am by no means even half an expert on mixing, let alone viking metal mixes! Just trying to help :)

Yeah the drums and vocals are all 6/8 but the guitar is doing 4/4 for a large chunk. Could be good if executed right, but I wouldn't say that it works here. The second verse the guitar goes back to 6/8.

4/4 triplet with a bit of standard 4/4 in the middle which I'm not keen on, but thats not why I'm here. my question was about making big group/chorus type vocals. This is no big production song here guys. I'm just a novice HOME recorder that every once in a while gets the bug to write something. The main melody was dancing around in my head for a while and I tried to make something fun out of it. If it works for you or not is not my concern. It's something that I (and maybe some family and friends)will be listening to for shits and giggles only, and I just wanted some vocal ideas. But of course with all that said, I do and will take all critiques into concideration. Thank you

Back