Weird Studio Noises with The Flaming Lips

PlasticMoonRain

You know, the June issue of Future Music's US edition has been out for a couple of weeks, and I've been meaning to get around to this. The cover story is the first I've seen where the Lips actually talk about producing in the studio, as opposed to "the meaning of the songs."

Not suprisingly, the Lips often use the words "strange" and "weird" to describe most of their sounds.

Drummer Steve Drozd talks about this one piece of arcane gear that found itself on two songs on the new album -- he says it's a "weird drum box made by Vox Jennings in the late 60's called a Tympano (!)" that's an amplified box that you're supposed to beat on, but since it had a 10-inch speaker, they thought it would be cool running a guitar through it. "It just has a unique sound and that's what I'm getting into now -- just finding weird stuff that nobody else wants!"

He uses this Tympano with a Japanese Silvertone guitar and a Z.Vex Fuzz Factory on "The WAND" (that's a scary thought!), and a 12-string Gagliano on "Pompeii."

Drew

Back