weird question: recording vocals through a guitar pedal

swcook0430

So I want to record vocals through my big muff guitar pedal for some early wavves reminiscent vocal tracks. I got a xlr to line input chord, plugged my shure sm48 into the big muff and then into the focusrite 2i2 interface and it was just feedback. I messed with the levels and no results. What's up? Anyone have any experience with this and can help me out? would greatly appreciate it.

thanks

You are using an XLR > TRS cord?

Try switching to an XLR > TS cord instead.

'Feedback' indicates some kind of signal loop - did you have monitors/speakers on? Most times using a vocal mic with a guitar pedal will not provide good results because a mic needs a strong preamp.

i've found the best way to do this, is to use a interface (mic preamp) with inserts....

put the effect in as an 'insert' and dial away.

awesomeness.

you could always record a take,
send it out of the DAW to the external pedal, and bring it back in on it's own track, and blend with the original.
lots of ways to skin this cat.

i've found the best way to do this, is to use a interface (mic preamp) with inserts....

put the effect in as an 'insert' and dial away.

awesomeness.

you could always record a take,
send it out of the DAW to the external pedal, and bring it back in on it's own track, and blend with the original.
lots of ways to skin this cat.

A lot of faffing around as the 2i2 only has 2 outs but probably the best way...

I appreciate the advice! I'll give it a try. But, just to be a little more specific, I have the microphone with XLR to TRS chord hooked up to the distortion pedal, and then from another TRS chord from the pedal into the interface, not a TRS to XLR. When I try to turn the pedal on there's a loud pop noise and the light doesn't come on. Tried fresh batteries, same problem. I also tried it just through my guitar amp and got the same result. Not sure if that helps or not. Thanks again.

I'm sure the Big Muff doesn't have balanced (TRS) input/output jacks - you coudl try an XLR-XLR cable from the mic to one of these transformers, but the Big Muff doesn't have a mic preamp in its input circuit.
In your first post you indicated you were getting feedback but never told us how you had things hooked up when it happened.

Does the big muff even turn on? Most guitar pedals use a TRS jack on the input to disconnect power when the cable is removed. A TRS cable usually defeats that, unless it's wired funny with the ring shorted to the sleeve for some reason. There's no good point in TRS out of the big muff either. In fact, it's probably not a great idea. You could pseudo-balance, but it's probably more work than it's worth.

Back