Weird noise

walkinbass

So, from the git go... for the record, I'm not exactly what you would call "experienced" in this digital recording arena..... so bear with my stupidity

I recently upgraded my sound card, OS, and my recording software.

Last night while I was working my way through a little practice multi track session, I had a weird noise come through that I have never had happen before. I was monitoring with headphones straight out of the sound card break out box (RME Multiface) and I was setting levels. When this "noise" started .... kind of a gradual crescendo... of white noise over 5 seconds or so... sounding like surf coming in. It reached a fairly loud peak then it faded off. Total length of noise.... 10---fifteen seconds max. Now since I live hundreds of miles from the ocean.... well, I know it wasn't surf. I wasn't actually changing any settings when this "surf sound" came. Though it was troubling, I continued on.... and about 10 minutes later, it happened again... It kind of made me nervous and since what I was doing wasn't important, I just shut everything down. Today, every things seems to be working OK .... and no surf sounds... (so far)

But, any thoughts on what I may be dealing with? Two things that I might mention, but might have nothing to do with the noise, the break out box seemed a bit warm when I shut things down.... I'm not sure it is supposed to.... and, around the time of the noise, I felt a little electric static/tingly sensation around my headphones and ears. Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Cheers

nah... couldn't be. I had my aluminum foil helmet on.

Besides, when they talk to me, it's always voices...... "beware the bbs....beware the bbs......beware the bbs...."

On a more serious note, I'm thinking there may be some kind of grounding issue going on here. That ...and static electricity has been a problem lately....

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Back