Weird monitor/ear health problem?

Alphacen

I have this most peculiar problem ever.

Recently i bought some new beginner equipment for my PC home recording setup. An EMU 0404 soundcard and a cheap pair of powered studio wannabe monitors these to be specific:

Product: KS-40A | Kurzweil Music Systems

Of course they're not real studio monitors, but the sound is quite nice and crisp and you can really hear a notable difference between them and the regular PC speakers.

The problem is this...that whenever i make music on them (doing drums especially) my right ear begins to ache. Kind of a stinging type of pain..it's not unbearable but rather unsettling and annoying.
Yes i probably have some type of ear damage, but why doesn't this pain occur (or at least it's almost unnoticeable) when i listen to professional recordings/mixes and when listening through other speakers...mainly my stock PC speakers.
I can also listen to loud music on concerts but the pain doesn't occur...i might get the usual ringing and ear drum stiffness, but the stinging pain is not there.

I can't seem to pinpoint the problem. It could be that these monitors are thrash and are causing it, it might be that all flat speakers tend to do this to me, or i might have them too close to my ears...

Professional mixes are way more overall soft sounding, when i'm doing my amateur work the sound feels more harsh and gritty...especially the higher frequencies.

Any ideas what it might be or any tests i could perform to come closer to the problem?

And yes...i do plan to go to a doctor, but ear damage is mostly irreparable, so except for some general advices not to listen to loud sounds i don't know what the doctor could do for me. I think i'm on my own for this.

thanks

A certain frequency (or frequencies) is causing the issue - possibly these speakers accentuate that frequency more than other speakers you have tried.

Maybe your drum playing is so bad its going to make your ears bleed?

heh - seriously, its probably a specific frequency you need to reduce like Mike said...

Back