Weird mic behavior

msr001

I've been working with a pair of AKG SC-1 condenser mics in an ORTF setup lately and noticed something kind of weird. When I apply the phantom power to both mics, I get a high pitched whine in the signal coming from the mics. It sometimes can change pitch kind of like a police siren, but it stops if I turn the phantom power off to one of the mics. The mics are not a matched pair, but I am wondering if this is some kind of field coil effect from the mics being in close proximity of each other. If so, is there a way to prevent this?

thanks,

msr:confused:

What is it that your using to provide the phantom power to the microphones?
Yeah, this is what I think you should be looking at. If the phantom power for both mics is coming from the same "box" (e.g. mixer, interface, etc.), I suspect maybe there's a problem with the phantom power supply when you put the extra load of a second mic on it.

G.

My mistake on the actual mics. They are ADK SC-1's and not AKGs. Sorry about that. As far as the phantom power goes, I tried it two different ways with similar results. First I powered the mics directly from the recorder using the on-board preamps. Next I tried individual mic preamps (one for each mic) and got similar results. The problem is more pronounced when the gain is turned up and also more pronounced when the mics are close to each other. I'll play around some more with the phantom power and see if that's the issue.

thanks,

msr

Back