weird computer error

lucid

sometimes, when i start-up or restart my computer it stops through boot up, goes to a blue screen (not blue screen of death... xp blue screen) and says "unknown hard error....\ntdll.dll"

from then, i have to go to the F8 startup menu and startup with the last known good configuration. when i do this my delta 44 drivers are missing, and i have to reinstall them. very annoying. anyone know why?

AMD XP 1800+
Asus A7M266
512MB Samsung RAM
20 GB system
80 GB audio
CD-RW
DVD
Delta-44
Voodoo 3

thanks

Sounds like you've got a corrupt file (probably that ntdll.dll). Try doing a repair install and see if that fixes it. Make a repair disk (or whatever it's called) first though.

FYI - the blue screen in XP is a BSOD, as it's an NT OS.

Do you know about this "wonderthing":
Start -> All programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore?

Once I installed some sh*t, and XP showed me nice blue screen every time I wanted to restart or shut down... "System restore" returns your computer to an earlier time, so everything becomes like it was BEFORE something terrible happened. ;) This thing does something amazing! Even programs, that were uninstalled works again!!! ...There will be some surprises too... Some files can disappear (that have been created between 'today' and 'the day you are returning to')... But it solved my problem. Give it a try. It's fun to travel in time! :D

You need to either boot from the XP cd, or run setup from the XP cd. When the time comes, choose to do a repair installation, and as I said before, it's a really good idea to have that repair disk.

Just obtain the ntdll.dll file, put it on a floppy, and while in safe mode or whatever paste it into the windows system32 folder. ;)

how do i make a repair disk?
I'm not sure if it's in the same place in XP, but in 2k, you'd go here: Start ->Programs->Accessories->System Tools->Backup. There should be an "Emergency Repair Disk" button there.

Back