Weird Composition... missing something, maybe you can help?

Splodge

I had a lot of fun mixing this but you know how it is... when I came back and listened the next day it seemed flat/drab and not at all as exciting as I thought it was.

Looking for an idea to completely overhaul it to make it shine. Perhaps its the melody.

or maybe you can help me come up with some lyrics/vocal (maybe thats what it needs)

i dunno.. just having fun...

Nothing weird at all.
Acoustic guitar sounds like some scales from Vietnam.
Sometimes I missed some points of the drums.
Anyway, and once again, sounds like something from Vietnam.

First of all I'd mess with the timing of the instruments. If the loop is very straight, as it seems to be, the rest will seem out of sync if it's not as "perfect". I would lower the volume of the drums quite a bit. Some minor tweaks on the rest of the tracks after that. The main thing for is the timing.

Thanks for the tips... yes I see now that the timing is off, I thought I had it right. I might get back to it at some point.

The timing gets better as the track progresses. You have an interesting drum loop with that anticipated beat . . . but that can be off-putting unless everything else is sitting very tightly. I like the composition and the musical elements.

I would like to hear this track with a longer, slower melody line sitting over the top.

From a production standpoint id have a shaker or "ticking" kind of noise to move it along in 1/8 notes from the beginning; one of the tricks I was taught was a stereo delay with 1/4 and 1/4T - makes for an interesting shaker track. Might give you the nudge you're after. also you might want to make a feature of that piano hook but make it less acoustic and more "derived" or synthy... even bass would work.

Back