Website DAW

You don't.

I'm a web developer who has actually tried to implement a simplified mixer (not even a full daw, just a mixer of pre-selected synths edit: tracks), and it is an incredibly difficult task. Javascript just isn't a good language for time-sensitive tasks like syncing audio, especially when you can't really know anything about the target environment.

Last edited:
What about existing internet sites that provide this service, how do they do it?
Like these:
Here's a simple one:
It doesn't have to be Wordpress 8-)

Last edited:
Most of these aren't really DAWs, but those that are do it by having a dedicated team of software developers build the software.

The thing really is that you need to figure out what you really want out of this feature on your website and then find the plugin that does most of that. But there are a lot of hurdles that make anything close to a real DAW very difficult to accomplish. Just a short list

Syncing playback - as I already mentioned getting multiple samples to play back at the exact same time is basically impossible without some very clever trickery
File storage - where does everything get stored? If it's on your site, you've gotta pay for all that storage
Authentication - who is able to access the mixer? If it's open to the world, someone is gonna start using it to store garbage or serve spam somehow on your dime.
Effects - how do you apply FX to the tracks? Do you try to implement them in pure javascript? Do you have your clients download executables? Do you have them upload to you apply the FX yourself and redownload them?

You really need to strip your feature list down to the absolute bare minimum that you really need.

I was using DAW in a very loose sense. I have a self-publishing music website (https://www.versetrix.com) & want to give artists a basic way of recording vocals over an MP3 backing track of compositions, without leaving the website. This web site has a simple example:
add a backing track & that would be a start. I'm not worried about the other issues, they can be addressed after the first step. 8-)

Last edited:
Ok, so you 100% have to solve the issue of authentication for that. Who is allowed to upload audio files to your server?

And once you have a user authentication process in place, this wordpress plugin might work. You'd configure your site to allow your users to make audio posts, which would be listed somewhere; and then the plugin would let them create them.

Back