Web Design Software

scuppari

Not sure where to post this question....

I want to create a website to post pictures of the home studio I'm building. I've registered the web address, so now I need to design the site. Most of my professional buddies told me to use Dreamweaver, but it sounds too complicated for a first-time user.

Is there free software on the net that I can download and use? What do you guys use?

Geocities (Yahoo) has a free one, for use with their sites. You can either use their site as host, or build it there and then copy to another address.

or if you want to do little but post a few pictures, it isn't hard to learn enough code to do that. Then you can use notepad.

-Angermeyer

I use Cyberstudio. You are probably better off with Microsoft Frontpage. I personally hate it but its pretty simple to use.

Web design packages, like Frontpage, are really to help you keep track of all your links and to keep your pages and content organized if you have a big website. It also gives you macros to do some of the fancier stuff like forms and hover buttons.

If you just want to put pictures on a couple of pages you can use Word 2000 and just use the convert to HTML function. Or, if you really want to know what you are doing, learn HTML and use notepad. You just save it as a .HTML file instead of .txt. There are many online tutorials that can get you started.

Also, go to a site that you like and in your browser menu go to view->source. This will show you the HTML for that page and you can read that to see how they did things for the most part. It won't show you any scripting they used, but that's an advanced lesson.

Pete

Actually, I didn't find Dreamweaver all that complicated. Personally I thought it was easier to use than Frontpage.

Any version of Microsoft Word past I believe it's 97 has a HTML editor, the best being in word 2000, it's quick, down and dirty and it gets the job done...

Lyon

Word 2000 actually makes an XML file that has all the Wordness of the file (all the formatting and fetaures that Word supports) encoded into it. So it's like an RTF file, an ASCII rendition of a Word file, and is therefore enormous compared to what it would be if it was really just a ordinary HTML file. But yes, there's a "make compact HTML" plug-in sort-of thing available from Microsoft that will clean all this excess crap out.

Back