Weak sound from mic going through mixer

quagmire77

Hey everyone,

Any suggestions? My band is trying to route all guitars and mics through an old Peavy 9 channel mixer. We have an amp on the mixer for power, and we have the mix output going to a headphone splitter so that we can all listen to the mix through headphones while playing. The guitars have a little more "distortion" than I would like (a lot of popping in the headphones is getting through) but the real problem is that we are not getting the vocals to come through on the headphones at all really. I wouldn't think that I needed a seperate preamp for the mic since this is not as big of a problem when we output the mix to monitor speakers. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

What model mixer? I have a Peavey 900 and owner's manual. I has no phantom power, and has lowZ XLR and highZ 1/4" inputs.

What mics are you using? Do they need phantom power? If so, you'll need a separate mixer or power source for the mics.

Do you mean the vocals are coming through the monitors but not the headphones? What is your "headphone splitter?" Is it a powered headphone amp, or some kind of passive device?

TexRoadkill[/i] [b]Please don't crosspost[/b][/QUOTE] [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by DJL said:

He posted it in the mixing/mastering forum too.

quag -
If you don't let us know what your signal chain/hookups are, we're sort of in a quagmire here too.

Back