Waves Analog Switch - Mystery Uncovered (**Interesting Video**)

FirstClassAudio

What's up guys?

Have you ever wondered what the Analog feature was for on the Waves analog emulation plugins? If so, I wanna share a video with you that you should check out. There has been tons of people who asked questions about this topic and with all the curious faces, I've decided to make a video for everyone to help them clarify exactly what the analog switch is doing. So if you are interested and have a few minutes to watch this interesting video, please subscribe to the channel for future videos and leave a like on the video if you enjoy it. Thank you all, hope you are having a great day! :thumbs up:

***Best Viewed On YouTube's Main Site***

Waves Analog Switch - Mystery Uncovered:

Just listening to the noise is kinda dumb without actually A/B-ing the analog switch with some music present.....not to mention, he has that cranked up REAL high so you could hear it, and I'm sure it will give a lot of folks the wrong idea about how it will affect their music.

I have a few of those Waves plugs, and while I don't have a preference about the analog switch, I've tried it with audio present, and the differences are very subtle with/without...and there's NO audible "noise" when it's engaged.

I understand what you are saying. The point of this video though was to hear what the analog switch is doing. The reason why the example wasn't shown in context with actual recordings is for the same reason which you've stated. "There's no audible noise when it's engaged". However, when you start using a bunch of these plugins on your mix, it does become more noticeable. So the exaggerations in this video is for us all to hear what is happening without having to strain your ears with the more "real world" scenario of low level noise.

That's just it it...you DON'T hear "what is happening" without applying it to any audio.
He's not showing what the analog switch does at all.
It might be marginally interesting as a half-assed lab experiment (comparing the different noises), but IMO it's useless for any real understanding of what the analog switch will do to your audio tracks/mixes.

It's like walking up to a real console, and with no audio signal, turning up all the faders to full, and also your monitors...and then listening to the HISSSSSSSSSSS.
What do you learn from that....?....mmmm...pretty much nothing at all, IMO.

Wow, I can restore the noise I worked so hard to remove from my recordings.
Man, my tape recordings, with the necessary NR appropraiately applied, have an analogue sound but it isn't hiss based.
I know the noise level is cranked but the concept of adding noise to a recording to achieve an analogue or tube tone went out with the "tube" preamps like the MIC100 from Behringer and the Blu Tube from Presonus. Even then the noise wasn't as hissy.

Yeah - I've got all of those plugs except the API I think, and the video was exactly unhelpful. I guess if I didn't have any of them and was considering buying, maybe it would be nice to know, but I think a one sentence preview ("with the switch on, there's some hiss, and if you turn it up, it's really hissy") would have been equivalent.

I always turn the switches off. Kind of pain. Yes, you can set the "user default" to have the switch off, but if you want to use or start out with any of the factory presets, it's back on again.

I checked out all of my Waves plugs, and really, with the switch on there is NO hiss/noise....at least nothing at all audible.
It's just a digital simulation of very low level harmonic distortion. All the plugs that attempt to emulate some analog device, have some form of that written in their algorithms....so it's nothing unusual with the Waves plugs, they just give you the option of turning it on and off.

Look at some of the Slate Digital plugs that emulate console strips and tape machines...that's how they do it too, by adding digitally simulated harmonic distortion among other digital "tricks".

I checked out all of my Waves plugs, and really, with the switch on there is NO hiss/noise....at least nothing at all audible.
It's just a digital simulation of very low level harmonic distortion. All the plugs that attempt to emulate some analog device, have some form of that written in their algorithms....so it's nothing unusual with the Waves plugs, they just give you the option of turning it on and off.

Look at some of the Slate Digital plugs that emulate console strips and tape machines...that's how they do it too, by adding digitally simulated harmonic distortion among other digital "tricks".

And last, there is a total difference in what kind of daw you own, most home recordrs seem to read into the 192bits or what ever it sayd bring them home, when a 48 digidesign would bring them miles from what they are using.
Sound costs money thats it, sure the homerecording hero can make a decent recording with sm57's, but I'd prefer an album with the same guy and u47's

Massive points off on that video for the stupid subscribe tile in the corner the entire time. People don't like beggars man, just ask people to subscribe at the end and they will if they like your content.

Having been the first one to call the video info kinda useless...and seeing how everyone else that followed said the same thing over and over.... :D ...I'm feeling a little guilty that the OP might think we slammed him, which I know wasn't anyone's intention....we're just calling the video as it is.

So to FirstClassAudio who hasn't posted back in two days following this thread......

It's cool, you meant well....don't take our responses personally.
No one is targeting you, we're just talking about the video and the guy who did it.

(I hope FirstClassAudio isn't just another one of Barry's recent aliases......there's been so many, it's hard to keep track anymore.)

I don't know. Is New Jersey close to West Haven?

There is the ability to use alternate IP addresses. It is tough to call it right every time...

I agree though, if FCA (OP) was here to find info, I hope he did not feel thrashed upon personally. That was not the intention by me in any way.

If you are not Barry, then I hope to hear more from you FCA! :)

Edit:

Upon looking at FirstClassAudio's posts, I highly doubt that Barry would even discuss using a drum program.

I say not him.

TyroneSloan definitely is...

I didn't really think he was Barry....but hey, Barry is out-of-control, so right now, when I see a February registration date with only a handful of posts...well, you Mods know what I'm talking about, it has a level of suspicion. :D

Barry's gotten to the point where he makes little effort to conceal his identity in the posts he makes, regardless of the new names he keeps coming up with when he registers. :facepalm:

I didn't really think he was Barry....but hey, Barry is out-of-control, so right now, when I see a February registration date with only a handful of posts...well, you Mods know what I'm talking about, it has a level of suspicion. :D

Barry's gotten to the point where he makes little effort to conceal his identity in the posts he makes, regardless of the new names he keeps coming up with when he registers. :facepalm:

Yeah, we are working on that...

Look forward to hearing more from you FirstClassAudio.

Back