Wavelab

enuenu

I have found that Steinberg offer an audio editing package called Wavelab. What does Wavelab do that Cubase does not? Would inclusion of Wavelab Studio in a Cubase Studio 4 DAW allow it to compete with the audio editing capabilities of Pro Tools LE? Is Wavelab used in conjunction with Cubase as a plug-in or add-on or is it a package in its own right? I'm not sure of the relationship between Cubase and Wavelab.

I am about to begin my DAW journey to create music using my electric guitar, vocals, virtual bass and virtual drums. I have been tossing up between Pro Tools and Cubase with a view to sticking to my choice for a long time. I have begun to lean towards Cubase. However the one advantage of Pro Tools that people keep bringing up is its superior audio editing functionality. I don't really understand what this means at the moment.

Last edited:
I've used protools and cubase in the past, and I like cubase better anyway. I don't have wavelab so I can't really say for sure, but I think it is more of a mastering tool, while cubase is more geared towards multitrack tracking / editing / mixing.

I'm no expert by any means, but with wave lab you can lay out all your songs in the order you want them on your cd. You can set track markers so that tracks can change in the middle of a song if you wish. You can set levels so all your songs are the same volume. These are just some of the features wave lab has that cubase does not. As stated earlier cubase is a recording, editing, mixing software and wave lab is mastering software.

Wavelab is designed to edit mixes. It is not a multi-track daw. It also burns redbook CDs, with CDtext, ISRC, and a bunch of other stuff. It will also author DVD audio and a few other things. It is completely different from Cubase.

I am just about to invest in my first home recording/music creation setup with a laptop, Edirol UA25EX and Cubase. Do I need Wavelab? I am guessing that Wavelab carries out the tasks that form the step between what Cubase produces and creating a saleable CD. So maybe I could do all my songs with Cubase and store the files produced. Then if I want to go the next step with these tracks and create a saleable CD I would get Wavelab to finish the job. Do I have this correct?

I have begun to lean towards Cubase. However the one advantage of Pro Tools that people keep bringing up is its superior audio editing functionality. I don't really understand what this means at the moment.

I can't think of anything you can do with Protools you can't do with Cubase, except spend more money on any plugins you might want to purchase that will work in your host. Oh, and be locked into their hardware forever. There's that too.

I hope my sarcasm hasn't confused you.... :)

Peace!

~Shawn

I am just about to invest in my first home recording/music creation setup with a laptop, Edirol UA25EX and Cubase. Do I need Wavelab? I am guessing that Wavelab carries out the tasks that form the step between what Cubase produces and creating a saleable CD. So maybe I could do all my songs with Cubase and store the files produced. Then if I want to go the next step with these tracks and create a saleable CD I would get Wavelab to finish the job. Do I have this correct?
You have it correct.

Without a doubt Cubase has just as much to offer (if not more) than Protools for a fraction of the cost.

As far as Wavelab... it really all depends on how far you want to go. It was said correctly, if you want to create a TRUE redbook cd, Wavelab is the answer.

A little confusing at first to use but having the ability to set all you levels appropriately, adding ISRC Codes, CD Text, etc... is a great tool that Cubase does not have. As far as just making a QUALITY CD, Cubase is more than enough

Back