Wavelab

utsman

Hey Mastermixers,

Just bought wavelab 3.0. I know it's old but I got it second hand for cheap. It seams like a pretty good mastering option. Anyone use it/ like it/ not like it.

utsman said:
Hey Mastermixers,

Just bought wavelab 3.0. I know it's old but I got it second hand for cheap. It seams like a pretty good mastering option. Anyone use it/ like it/ not like it.

I've got the new version and love it.

Well I go back even farther in retro versions of Wavelab. I use 2.0 for everything I do that doesn't involve multitracking because it's so stable and it does everything I need. 24 bit, easy accurate editing, VST and DX plugs, and it NEVER crashes or misbehaves. It even gets along with my Waves plugs and the Pace piracy crap. Works on all my boxes... Win 95, 98 and XP.

Tim

I have Wavelab 4.0. It is really good. I use it to finalise or master my recordings. Usually I find myself using 'denoise', 'declick' and a few others. It has a pretty good multi band EQ plug in and generally it has everything you could want.

Wavelab is great for mastering and editing and also remixing with the montage section. Volume and pan automation can be used as with recording plug-in automation in real time. Pity you actually have to record the plug in automation rather than how you can do it in Pro tools with lines and the mouse.

Anyone use the puncher as a mastering effect. I like waht it does but can't tell if it is changing the mix a bit

ecktronic, what do you mean by remixing in wavelab? I usually use it as a tool for adding finishing touches to a project that has been rendered or exported from my software. My software mixes the project into a stereo wav file and I can open it in Wavelab and touch up the file as a whole. So, when you say 'remix' what do you mean mate? Is there a way to decompile that stereo wav into its individual track form? Shit, if you can do that I'd be amazed

I have used the puncher and all it really does in my opinion is work as a compresor with easy to use controls. But watch out for pumping of volumes when using it at even just {MEDIUM, 60%} !!!

MONKEY ALLAN, when i mean remix i mean adding a number of different samples together to make a new tune. Example like say a vocal line from one song and then a beat from a hip hop song running at the same time.
T remix you need to open a new AUDIO MONTAGE in the "FILE" menu. you can then make samples in the wave editor and then copy and paste them into your audio montage. Add extra tracks to your audio montage by clicking on the track 1 at the left of the screen.
If you need any more help with audio montages then just let us know.

Ok ecktronic, for a minute I thought you meant Wavelab would decompile your 'Exported files' into their component tracks and allow you to apply tweaks to each track. So, in a bit more detail, what do you find this tool handy for?

Only way to explain it is that you can mix multiple tracks together. Kinda like Pro Tools or Cubase, but not as good. You could for example make a drum loop in say Fruity loops or some other programme, and then bounce that to a stereo wave and export it into an audio montage in Wavelab. Then you could add other tracks to it and get them to be in time with each other by using the time stretch/compression tool. But the tracks have to be pretty close in time because if you use too much time stretch then it will sound unnatural and digital which can be cool if used as an effect. Kinda Aphex twin sound.
Good luck if you are trying out an audio montage as it takes a good while to be comfortable with using it.
PS. you can add effects to certain samples in an audio montage by right clicking on the sample in the audio montage and selecting "add effect". You can also use the master section to stick a limiter say on the master out to avoid any clipping. Mostly i need to turn the master fader down about 8dB to avoid clipping when mixing and then i bring it up and add a limiter to cut any peaks. I also listen through to the whole mix a few times to make sure that the limiter isnt killing the mix and causing any unnatural volume envelopes.

Back