Wave Editors

JC Lives

Hello n-track users. I just downloaded the demo version of n-track to have a look see. I guess I was a little disapointed that you have to use an external wave editor.

My questions are: What editors are you using and how much did they cost.

I like the idea of the low cost of this program and based on all the posts I have read about it here, it lounds like a pretty good deal.

However, as with the majority of us here, money is always an issue. I just need to get an idea of any additional costs I might inccur by going with n-track

Thanks in advance for your help and HAPPY RECORDING.

If money is such an issue,check out Protools or Cubase!
Actually,n-track can do all ordinary wave editing functions (cut,splice,normalize etc.).But it also has that feature where you CAN call up an external dedicated wave editor.I use the old cool edit96 for this but there are lots of free editors (like goldwave) out there.
The advantage of the dedicated wave editor is ease of use,so that if you are already familiar with one particular software n-track lets you integrate it.However,you can do it all with n-track alone.Read the help file thoroughly for the details.
Tom

Thanks Tom. I'll have to check out the help. I haven't spent but an hour or two with it and was only playing around with a copule of windows wav files. I thought I could get away without RTM (reading the manual). I guess I was mistaken.

I actually have looked into Protools and would realy love to own the Digi 001. But since I do not even own a computer yet, that puts a couple of G's to the price tag to get going. I use my work laptop from work to communicate with you guys. I am also using this computer for the demo of n-track. I am well aware that using this computer is not going to be a very good judge of how the software works since when I get the chance to do some recording with it, I will be using the native soundcard.

Sorry,but laptops make terrible DAWs.The sound card wasn't designed to do much more than beep for games.Processor speed is the key for n-track.A P200 might get ten tracks with 2 effects.A PIII 600 like I have now does about 30 tracks with effects.Then you need about 128 meg ram.At 10 meg a stereo minute for 44,100K wave files,you also need a big ol' hard drive too.
You won't get very good performance with your current setup.
Tom

Thanks for the info Tom. I have no intentions on using this computer as a daw. I figured it would be good enough to evaluate the software. When I am able, I intend on getting a fairly beefy machine. I will probably go with at least a 600 with a minimum of 256 mb RAM. I also indend on making sure that it will be desinged for use as a daw. It would be nice if I could just go to the mega stores and buy one cheap, but I know that I would be asking for trouble. I intend on doing it right the first time.

Again, Thanks.

Back