WAV instrumental better than MP3??

MP3 files are compressed, but if you go wiht the highest resolution possible, there is not a huge loss of signal content. What exactly are you trying to do? If you are mixing down a song with pre-recorded instrument track(s) plus new vocals, then go wtih any non-lossy format such as WAV, AICC, etc. Convert to MP3 after you are done for i-devices and internet.

basically what it is is that I don't produce..I want to buy some instrumentals but some producers who have beats i like..they charge £20 a instrumental and deliver it as a wav file wit the chorus on then instrumental..i have a se electronics mic with a saffire 6 and want to record my vocals on it and get every thing roughly sounded the right level..and more importantly useable for a mix/master..is wav the best way to go then..as i know mp3 is difficult to deal with?

Like Mike said.

The way a 60mb wav file is converted into a 5mb mp3 is to THROW AWAY 80% of the information in the file.
(the algorithms hope that its the frequencies you wont notice much...)

Not what you want to work with.

Okay thanks..so will wav i'll be able to mix/master okay even though ill be recording my vocals 'on top' of the wav in theory?

That's how all multi track recording is done.

In a perfect world, you would have all of the individual tracks with the individual instruments, so you could mix the music around the vocals instead of just putting the vocals on top.

But what you are doing is done all the time and can work just fine.

thanks farview..and yeah I bought beats at £100 and they sent me every single instrument in a wav file..but for someone who doesn't produce for me to reput all that into a sequence in time it's too difficult :s

Back