WAV file resample - any problems?

sjfoote

I use a Zoom digital recorder that creates 32 kHz WAV files. I can import them directly into Audacity and it plays them at the correct speed. I'm now trying to use Kristal and it won't play these files correctly until I convert (r8brain) them to 44.1 kHz.

Are there any inherent problems using resampled WAV files?

Thanks...

sjfoote ,

I record at 24 bit and 96khz and sample down to 16 bit 44.1khz , I notice more " LIFE and BREATH " in the final products, so for me No Problems .

Stephen

Updated Information

The original files are 20-bit, 32 kHz WAV files and I plan to import them into CakeWalk Music Creator 3 or Kristal Audio Engine.

I have been using r8brain for the WAV resample. There are many options when resampling including bit depth and sampling rate.

Bit rate options are:
8, 16, 24, 32 float, 64 float

Sample rate options include:
44, 48, 88.2, 96, 192

Quality options include:
medium, high, very high

What do you all think would be my best bet for resampling these files?

Thanks,

Steve

No matter what, you will never have any more resolution than you originally recorded. I would go with 44.1k/24bit just for further processing. 38k/20 bit is pretty cheezy, why don't you just record right into Cakewalk?

20-bit, 32 kHz is a bit cheezy

but it is a simple recording process that I understand and am familiar with. ;)

Another option will be to record into CakeWalk, but my on-board sound card is the standard soundMAX AC'97 from Dell. The sound card records in 16-bit, 48 kHz, so I'm not certain that it will be much better than 20-bit, 32 kHz.

Additionally, when recording to the Zoom and exporting the WAV files, all the tracks (32 possible) stay perfectly in synch - and that is something that appears to be a problem with some DAW software.

Anyway, I was just curious if there were any know issues with resampled files...

Steve

I would go with 16 bit 48k. 32k means that the zoom can not record anything above 16khz. That means the the high cut filter on the converters starts effecting the signal even lower. I would certainly give up the noise floor of 20 bit to make sure that the top octave of my recording is all there.

For less than $150 you can get a recording soundcard that would eliminate the software sync problems.

Back