Wav editor?

savageblues

What kind of software do I need to break up a single track CD recording into multiple tracks? I have a live recording, and I want it to play continuously but I also want to be able to number each song so you can advance with the track button on your CD player.

(I'm searching my Korg D1600 manual to determine an easy way to do this rather than cutting it all up into separate tracks and burning each individually)

I havent used any software except Sonic record now, so Im new to wav. file editing. Is there some freeware that will do this for me?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

You can use any WAV editor to cut a WAV file into pieces and save the pieces seperately; those are very basic features. Just do a net search for "freeware wav editor" and you'll find a handful of choices.

G.

Ok Thanks.

So I do need to cut each song individually and create a separate wav file for each. Then I need to burn these in order again to CD (presumably with NO space in between). Hopefully the CD will then play without interruption between songs?

I'll search for a freeware wav editor. Any suggestions?

savageblues said:
Ok Thanks.

So I do need to cut each song individually and create a separate wav file for each. Then I need to burn these in order again to CD (presumably with NO space in between). Hopefully the CD will then play without interruption between songs?
The "cut and save" process is probably the only way to do it with most freeware editors. And, yes, whatever burner software you're using will burn each file as an individual song that the CD player will play in sequence just like a "real" CD.

There are other ways to do this by "marking regions" in an editor and then "converting the regions to tracks" in the burner software, but the software for doing these kinds of procedures (e.g. Sound Forge, CD Architect, Wavelab) will cost you a few hundred dollars minimum.

As far as the freebie stuff, Audacity is one of the more popular ones these days it seems, but there are any number of editors available that will do what you need. Grab a couple (heck, they're free) and try them out and decide which one makes the most sense for your work tastes.

G.

Thanks again Glen.

At this point, since it appears I will need to do a lot of cut-editing - I think I may be faster at doing this directly on my recorder. I think I can burn them all at once, in order on my machine. Either that or I consider buying some software...

Well, one way or another you're going to have to tell the software where to stop one song and start the next. They ain't TiVO. :D.

G.

savageblues said:
What kind of software do I need to break up a single track CD recording into multiple tracks? I have a live recording, and I want it to play continuously but I also want to be able to number each song so you can advance with the track button on your CD player.

(I'm searching my Korg D1600 manual to determine an easy way to do this rather than cutting it all up into separate tracks and burning each individually)

I havent used any software except Sonic record now, so Im new to wav. file editing. Is there some freeware that will do this for me?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Ok, it's a live recording so I'm assuming that you want it to play continuously without any silence between songs BUT still assigning a track number to each song? No problem. Break them up in a WAV editor as G. suggested. You can fade in the beginning of the audience applause or start from whomever is introducing the band and maybe fade out the applause after the last song. HOWEVER, do NOT place fades anywhere else to maintain the 'concert' feel. Then when you go to burn to CD, just look in your software. There should be something in it to set the time between tracks to 0.

Is this what you're looking for?

Ok thanks 7Stringer and Afficianado...that's what Im trying to acheive.

I did download the free audacity, and now Im trying to figure out how to use it.

I might still do all of this on my machine (as I am fairly proficient at editing on it already).

This is more work than the damn mix and master...

savageblues said:
This is more work than the damn mix and master...
Nah, it's not hard at all. All you gotta go is scroll through your one big long WAV and find where the next song break is. Perform a "cut" or a "split" (the terminology varies depending on software) at that point, move on to the next song break, and repeat. This will chop your single WAV into multiple consecutive clips on the timeline, like chopping a stalk of celery into pieces. Then you just go back and save each clip or (piece of celery :) ) to a different filename (e.g. "track_1.wav", "track_2.wav", etc.). Depending on the software (I'm not intimate with Audacity), the exact keystrokes or mouse clicks for doing this will vary, but the basic process remains pretty much the same, and it shouldn't be difficult at all.

G.

ecktronic said:
:D what an analogy!
Hahaha, you that thank (or blame? ;)) that one on the fact that I made a batch of homemade chicken salad last night and the recipe included chopped celery. I was hungry (and sill am) when I made that post. :D

G.

Ohh i think its about time for my supper now. No chicken salad. Maybe 10 bits of toast and marmalade. mmmmmmm
and a cup a tea.

ecktronic said:
Ohh i think its about time for my supper now. No chicken salad. Maybe 10 bits of toast and marmalade. mmmmmmm
and a cup a tea.

yes a good cup of tea at that... none of this stuff they market as tea now in the states the real deal...

Back