Water in dynamics

Granada

Our front porch got unexpectedly power-washed and water leaked into our basement and got all over a drum set and my AKG D112. When I picked it up there was water dripping out of it. I am going to wait a few days to test it but does anyone know if it has any chance of survival?

Thanks

Yes, there is a chance. Put it about 10" above a 60 watt light bulb (on- duh) for about 2 days. Then fire it up. No closer, and not more than 60w. Your chances are better than 50%, depending on how long it was immersed, and how acid the rain is where you live. If the rainwater was clean, it's better. Diaphragms don't do well with mud.This is the voice of a man whose entire studio was flooded in 2 feet of water. I still have a picture of the duck walking around my studio floor, planning to make it his new home. I feel your pain. Good luck-Richie

I don't know if I'd put it above the light bulb. But definitely don't even try to use it until it's completely dry. A light bulb can help lower the humidity level quicker than natural drying. And hopefully it's purified / distiled water. (not likely). But with all that seems to go with designing / manufacturing a mic, most probably don't have the flood scenario as their first priority.

As I recorded at a stadium next to a radio tower this afternoon to realize my mics / field recorder are susceptible. Fortunately lowering the mics and ducking the recorder under the aluminum bleachers helped. It was much worse in the monitoring headphones than the recording. But parts of the recording had parts of the broadcasts in the noticeable / prominent category.

Yes, there is a chance. Put it about 10" above a 60 watt light bulb (on- duh) for about 2 days. Then fire it up. No closer, and not more than 60w. Your chances are better than 50%, depending on how long it was immersed, and how acid the rain is where you live.

I've done almost this exact thing twice. Worked both times.

Frank

You'll probably be OK. I had a miniature Sony condenser go thru the washing machine and sustain no damage. I'm better about clearing my pockets now...

DKF

Back