wat the hell is spdif on protools

Jbangz

`wats spdif in prtools its iether usb or spdif wats the diff , at one studio the engineree was using spdif instead an the pc never froze an sounds real good an when i used no spdif it messed up alot

Sounds like the "engineer" at this "studio" was either having a bad day or didn't know how to set up his system. There is no reason using an SPDIF device should have crashed his PC.

With the mbox it isn't SPDIF or USB- you MUST use USB because that's the only way the mbox gets sound into and out of the computer.

There are 2 ways to get audio into and out of the mbox. Analog and SPDIF. Analog is stuff like mics, synths plugged into the line inputs, etc.

S/PDIF (Sony/Phillips Digital Interface) is a way of getting digital audio into and out of the mbox, and a great many other audio devices. If you don't have a preamp or effects device that has SPDIF I/O then don't worry about it.

C

Jbangz said:
`wats spdif in prtools its iether usb or spdif wats the diff , at one studio the engineree was using spdif instead an the pc never froze an sounds real good an when i used no spdif it messed up alot

"Short for Sony/Philips Digital Interface, a standard audio file transfer format. Developed jointly by the Sony and Phillips corporations, S/PDIF allows the transfer of digital audio signals from one device to another without having to be converted first to an analog,format. Maintaining the viability of a digital signal prevents the quality of the signal from degrading when it is converted to analog." - Dictionary

The most common connector used with an S/PDIF interface is the RCA connector.

"Using S/PDIF format; high bandwidth digital connections capable of receiving many channels of audio from one cable. One apparent advantage of S/PDIF is that the audio signal remains digital as it travels to the receiver and is only converted to analog in the receiver before it is amplified and reaches the listener’s ears."

I just got a new soundcard ( M-audio firewire solo) that has spdif, and my J-station has a spdif as well. I like saying spdif :cool:

The most common connector used with an S/PDIF interface is the RCA connector.

That's it? So all I need is a single rca connector from Radio shack to use it??

Back