WARNING: The music on this Compact Disc...

tryptophan

WARNING: The music on this Compact Disc was originally recorded on analog equipment, prior to modern noise reduction techniques. This Compact Disc preserves, as closely as possible, the sound of the original recording, but its high resolution also reveals the limitations in the master tape, including noise and other distortions.

isn't it a kind of silly thing for record companies to say? a-b an LP to a cd and decide for yourself. people are forgetting how good their stereos used to sound.

tryptophan said:
isn't it a kind of silly thing for record companies to say? a-b an LP to a cd and decide for yourself. people are forgetting how good their stereos used to sound.

I have a shit load of CDs, that I had accumulated in the last 15 years and just very recently, like a month ago, I bought myself a DUAL 510 turntable, which was introduced in around the mid 70's ... This thing still had a Grado Cartridge which seems to have not been changed in years. Anyway, I picked up several LPs of albums I already had on CD and was astonished how good and lifelike they sounded. Tho I still think CDs can sound very good, dynamic range, portability, longevity probably being the best features of the format, the LP will have more resolution in any case. All variables being the same, the LP simply sounds better. I'm not at all a vinyl guy but it seems quite a thing listenning to LP's and rediscovering a NEW sound of stuff that I had listenned to previously on CD. The CD is great but there is nothing like the full resolution of vinyl.

~Daniel

My band's second disc, which was done on a Tascam 388, says something similar to that on the back that we took off of the back of a Guns N' Roses CD. It went something like, "The music on this Compact Disc was originally recorded on analog equipment. We have attempted to preserve, as closely as possible, the sound of the original recording. Because of its high resolution, however, the Compact Disc can reveal limitations of the source tape."

Now for some sarcasm: Reading that again makes me realize how old and bad anything analog is. Digital, particuarly CD's, are the wave of the future. We should all be using Apple IIe's, after all, that's the equivalent of how old (and backwards) CD technology is. Sure you can modify the methods used to make a CD, and even get better at making CD's over the years, just like one could modify the subroutines and maybe even some of the hardware in an Apple II. But in the end, it's still an Apple II, isn't it?

-MD

Indeed. And as a vinyl enthusiast and budding audiophile, I have learned that not all LPs are the same mastering. Popular records from the 60s and 70s were essentially mastered again when they pressing plant wore out the stamper. And it's not always the first pressing that's the best. You have to learn about matrix numbers and reading the deadwax, looking for early numbers and/or the engineer's initials. It's like a game, searching through the record shops for the holy grail. I simply can't believe the difference sometimes.

themaddog said:
My band's second disc, which was done on a Tascam 388, says something similar to that on the back that we took off of the back of a Guns N' Roses CD. It went something like, "The music on this Compact Disc was originally recorded on analog equipment. We have attempted to preserve, as closely as possible, the sound of the original recording. Because of its high resolution, however, the Compact Disc can reveal limitations of the source tape."

Now for some sarcasm: Reading that again makes me realize how old and bad anything analog is. Digital, particuarly CD's, are the wave of the future. We should all be using Apple IIe's, after all, that's the equivalent of how old (and backwards) CD technology is. Sure you can modify the methods used to make a CD, and even get better at making CD's over the years, just like one could modify the subroutines and maybe even some of the hardware in an Apple II. But in the end, it's still an Apple II, isn't it?

-MD

That should read: "The music on this Compact Disc was originally recorded on analog equipment. We have attempted to preserve, as closely as possible, the sound of the original recording. Because of its high resolution, however, the Source Tape can reveal limitations of the Compact Disc." ;)

~Daniel

timboZ said:
I love vinyl but hate

Snap! Crackle! Pop!®

Yeah, I get what you're saying but really it's not that bad imho, especially for well preserved (and clean) vinyl. Whatever is left, which is inherent to the format, adds nice character, just like a bit of tape hiss in tape formats. Still, I don't mind the rather minute amount of the snap, crackle and pop when the vinyl sounds so damn nice. I'm willing to forgive. ;)

~Daniel

cjacek said:
That should read: "The music on this Compact Disc was originally recorded on analog equipment. We have attempted to preserve, as closely as possible, the sound of the original recording. Because of its high resolution, however, the Source Tape can reveal limitations of the Compact Disc." ;)

~Daniel

From one analog enthusiast to another: HAR!

Back