Warning! for PC newbs and idiots like myself

StevenLindsey

I've been trying to set up my PC for Sonar music production. I'm setting up two partitions with XP on them so I can separate my internet useage from my music software. Also been studying lots of websites learning the various tweaks that people are doing to XP for music production. I've crashed her twice now. The first time I was playing around with the paging file settings. Destroyed some files in XP and had to restore from the image. The second time, I had the partitions set up perfectly Using Partition Magic but then failed to follow one step correctly when installing the OS to the second partition......BLAM. Even destroyed my partition with the backup image in it. I spent last evening reformatting...reinstalling XP. Anyway, I know you're not interesting in hearing my woes. Just a word to the wise (unwise?): If you're thinking about tweaking your drives and OS's based on info you find on the web, be very careful and very methodical in your pursuits. I tend to just jump out there and try something. So far, it hasn't really bothered me because there was nothing on my PC anyway to lose and I'm learning some valuable lessons. But if I'd had my latest masterpiece stored on there....bummer.

Taking my advice about the 2 hardware profiles instead of partitions would have probably saved you all this trouble and worked just as well.

Possibly so, but I have a better idea of the concept of the partitioning than that of a hardware profile. Maybe I'll study it out a bit and see if my brain will accept it. Thanks.

brzilian said:
Taking my advice about the 2 hardware profiles instead of partitions would have probably saved you all this trouble and worked just as well.

I'm interested!
What thread was that suggestion in?

Well, I've encountered success. Apparently, my PC didn't like my installing the same version of XP on both partitions. I got a new XP for my music partition and now, so far, it's working quite happily. I'm glad I persevered. Now, I've got some more tweaking to do so I'll probably crash it again before I'm done. :D

Yeah, I had already ordered one just to have a backup copy so I just stuck it on the second partition the third time I lost the boot with the original copy. Works perfectly now. I don't know why, but it does.

I use removable drive caddies to truely seperate my music production environment from home and internet usage. It's inexpensive, takes seconds to swap drives, and absolutely guarantees my production environment stays clean.

Cheers, RD

Back