Warning: Do Not Buy M-audio Duo/quattro!!!

continuity

Here ye, here ye!!!

I'd like to warn one & all not to purchase the M-Audio Standalone USB ports (either the Quattro or Duo) if you're running any version of Cubase/VST on any sort of MAC:

These products will not work for you----the drivers will not function properly. There are posts regarding this problem on other sites and I as well have found out the hard way. M Audio says they are working on a fix and will post new drivers to their site. However, they continue selling these products to people who have no idea it may not work on their system---M Audio has known about this problem for at least 4 or 5 monthes and haven't done anything about it!!

So consider yourself warned:

If you are using Cubase/VST on a Mac---don't buy these units!

Alesis did the same exact thing when they released their ADAT PCI card several years ago. The drivers that shipped with the product would only work with a specific hardware setup on your PC, and they fail to list that on the box...:)

They also had magazine ad's that stated flatly that the Lightpipe connections would also double as S/PDIF too. It never happened.

In the end, the card is mostly a flop. You cannot do more than about 4 tracks at a time of reliable transfer to and from ADAT machines. They continue to sell the product. Oh well...

Ed

Geez man,
your "warning" is as bad as M-Audio not warning folks of the Cubase/drviver issues. I use a Duo with my mac, and it does exactly what it's supposed to do. No more, and no less. Sure, it could be better, but it could also be worse...

'Sides, my laptop loves it.

Flo' Dolo

I have to say I concur with Continuity.

After purchasing the Quattro I have spent too much time on hold or in rare cases talking with Tech Support for the past 4 months. Bottom line the M-Audio techs flat out told me they know the only laptop systems the Quattro works with VST on are:

1. Macs - (lucky you Flo')
2. Sony VIAO
3. In some rare instances Toshiba Sattelites (though I have one and it doesn't work with mine at all)

So I am pissed at M-Audio as well. I have to use the Quattro with MME drivers which only allows me to record 2 tracks simultaneously.

I agree that it is false advertising. M-Audio is aware of the problems and yet doesn't tell consumers. PS the last drivers came out in May you'd think enough time has passed for them to fix the issue. They won't even give a status report as to progress being made which makes me wonder if they even plan to fix it.

well, maybe i overeacted

ok,

i tried to get this post off----but it was to late..

After an intensive 3 day fix-it, i stumbled upon a combination of re-installs + reconfigurations that allows me to use this
stuff. So, i shouldn't have posted the scathing commentary....

There are latency problems and inconsistencies---but it does to some degree work, so i've got to back off from the first post.
All the same though, I didn't get help from M Audio in working this out! They were just like "wait for new drivers...."

Has anyone used the Edirol L-20? (maybe it's not L, but it's model ____20)

I'm wondering if that's an easier flowin' unit...

M-Audio USB Quattro/Duo

FYI......

I had a similar issue about a year ago.....bought the Quattro to run on the Windows ME OS with Cakewalk Sonar, but the folks at M-Audio could not tell me when new (MME?) drivers would be available to enable it to work at its 'full potential' with WinME, Win2000, etc.

On paper, I thought, 'geez, how in the world can you beat the
Quattro for the price, features, (has midi, USB), etc.'

Could not get it to work with a reasonable amount of latency using the older drivers. Had no choice but to send it back for an M-Audio Omni I/O & Delta 66 package (Omni-Studio). Had absolutely no problems with it right out of the box.

At the time, I read posts here and elsewhere from folks who got it up and running without problems. I do tend to really LOVE M-Audio stuff, everything I have seen from them seems to be built like a tank, (including the Quattro!) but methinks there has been some difficulty making the Quattro fly.

on further examination

well folks,

when i made my last post i had finally managed to get signal, so content with that I booted down and figured i'd take a breather. Upon further examination though, only one of my channels was functioning----a problem that for reasons not entirely clear to me resulted in a single channel mono monitoring.

The situation was akin to having only your left speaker plugged into your stereo---pan to the left and you hear both lft+right signals, pan to the right + the signal gradually dissapears. This was how it was, except i was hearing things in both speakers with the volume decreasing as i panned right in Cubase.

I called M Audio Tech Support and after an hour long session their tech apologized and said that the drivers just weren't cutting it for me----that the programmers are working on new drivers.

In the end----

Yes, M Audio makes some great stuff---the pre-amps, converters and circuitry in general is very strong across the board on whatever they do.

That said though, they should either figure out what they're doing or get out of the software realm pronto!

Y'know---I've seen alot of posts here, on Cubase.net and on a few Mac related music sites regarding problems with the drivers on the Quattro + Duo.

So in the end, I've got to stand behind my original warning---Just don't buy these products. If you're like me and get stressed when stuff isn't workin right it amounts to needless suffering. I spent hours trying to figure out something that was never going to work in the first place!

Buyers beware!

Personally, I am going to try the Edirol stuff next as I'm broke and don't wanna shell out the extra money for the Tascam U-428 which by all accounts has excellent drivers, though the circuitry isn't as good as M Audio. One can however get a board or a pre-amp and go easy on the trims on whatever your weaker link may be. However, if the drivers are bad-----you're S.O.L

So in the end

don't go M Audio

C-t-y

quattro is bulls**t artist

I bought Quattro before Christmas Day. I spent nearly 8 hours of kicking my three dogs in the ass, screaming at my girlfriend and tweezing my anus hairs out -- trying to get the thing up and running. Two days later, when I did get it to work -- I found out that Quattro only works in "two channel mode" with my Sonar!!! Boy, was i p*ssed. I wanted to go back to the store and beat the s**t out of the dumb-ass salesman at Sam Ash. It wasn't his fault though -- it was M's problem for bulls**ting the store about "Quattro's SUPERB handshake with Sonar. I called M Audio and they blamed the problem on Cakewalk for not having an ASIO software built into their XL. $300.00 down the shi**er as far as I'm concerned.

more proof

The drivers won't work!!!

It's a shame that countless people will have to spend hours troubleshooting on this stuff, but hey we're doing our best to warn.

Back