Warmth, without clutter...

jameslucas

I'm using a relative mic to an sm57(shs om-500) into my behringer mixer into my audigy soundcard (what a setup eh?) and I actually have succeeded (even before I got some behringer thruth monitors) in mixing several of my own records quite well (my dad was the main engineer on "The Wall", guess it's in my blood), next I need warmth and I would ask my dad but he's goddamn dead. So... I've got pretty decent, well spaced out recordings but they lack a certain degree of warmth and fullness, any ideas on what sorta cheapish gear might help?

Are you talking about guitars?

Double tracking, wooden floor and experimentation with distance micing are good starting points for warmth.

But, shit, check with Dave Gilmour first

experiementation with distance micing you say? How would I get any kind of volume outta my recording if the mic is more than a few feet from me. I'm recording usually one vox track and one or two acoustic tracks and a drum track.

You can use a condensor mic to 'mic the room' in addition to micing your instrument. Mic placement is crucial. Plus double track your takes and experiment with panning

Your dad was James Guthrie? ? ?

I didn't know he was dead.

Wow, dude. Welcome to the board.

Somehow, this just doesn't exactly add up. I mean, Guthrie was a pretty well-regarded and successful Producer / Engineer. I have a hard time imagining his kid having to scrounge up a bunch of crappy Behringer gear and a SB card.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

You mean he didn't even will you anything? Bastard.

Wow...what a bullheaded ass of a comment. What the fuck am I a rat? Do you think I came on this board to fabricate e-rumours that I'm somehow better than you cos' my absent dad was involved in the recording industry 30 years ago. Russ Castillo is the man to whom I refer. And he wasn't really a hands on sorta dad as I would imagine anyone that worked with the floyd boys might not be. Have a little taste. fucker.

Well, actually, now it makes sense. Thanks for clarifying. I thought your dad was James Guthrie. My mistake. Sorry if I offended you in any way.

Back