Warm Ups

andrushkiwt

Hey yo,

This is in regards to singing for recording. I try to get a quick practice session in every day during my ride home from work, even if i don't plan on singing that night. I mainly use YouTube tutorials to sing along to, or practice session warmups via various YT users. These include lip trills, sirens, breathing exercises, and various scales.

What helps you to warm up? Any particular video that you want to share? What about things outside of scales etc, like drinking/eating habits that day? Some say they try to not talk that entire day, until warmup time. How long do you give a warmup session? I'm not happy about the 1 hour or so it takes for me to get to comfortable/ready form. My best takes are usually between 4-7 out of 10, for any particular track. (It doesn't help that I write in my head and don't sing aloud until recording time).

feel free to share, always looking for ideas on warmups and getting ready to hit the mic.

thnx!

I use the Male warmup tracks on the cd you can get at this website:
Singing Voice Lessons - voice lessons on cd/dvd, private and skype singing lessons

Very satisfied with the results and takes only 20 minutes to do. I really do have to run through a few of minutes of singing after that to really be ready as warm ups are a bit different than singing itself.

I don't gig anymore but when I do:
I avoid coffee and milk. I eat a couple hours before I sing so food is digested...
I can warm up early afternoon and do a 9 pm gig and still feel warmed up.

Thanks! just what i was wondering. i hear sugary drinks aren't good either - but i drink a very sweet, cold, iced tea after work. i try to stick with water if i'm singing, but that damn Gold Peak Tea has me addicted. I'll check that site out further, though not really looking to buy anything.

I'm recording often too, and I also do exercises in the car, for 15-20 minutes, morning and afternoon, most days. I like doing exercises where the neighbors can't hear! I use exercises similar to those you describe, followed by custom exercises I make and put on my phone. A run from a song, for example, transposed up and down as far as I can. Or I follow the basic warm ups with intervals or arpeggios at the piano. This routine keeps me ready to sing. In the evening, I work on repertoire and will often record sketches that I can listen to later.

Cold drinks are not good while you are singing as the cold tightens your chords. Drink room temperature water. I really like a tea called Throat Coat, especially when I'm recording for a couple of hours.

As for talking, I just try to be conscious of how I'm using my voice, same techniques as for safe singing.

Short warms ups work well for me as do short breaks. Often the first take after a break and a cup of Throat Coat is the best one.

Warm-ups??? I'll sing the song through a couple of times before hitting the record button. Does that count?

Warm-ups??? I'll sing the song through a couple of times before hitting the record button. Does that count?

I don't even do that.

I hit the record button and off I go.

However, it is not a practice I would recommend for anyone else.

It is sensible in any physical activity to warm up beforehand.

Believe it or not, I haven't sung anything i've written out loud before recording time. it's all in the noggin until then. Maybe that's why my best takes are 4-5 into it.

and for the record, i would say that counts. though i've really found warming up helps get the tone ready - kind of like talking right after waking is rough sounding, the same goes for singing without warming up to sing. i'm waiting for that tone to arrive and my chest/throat to get loose. i can be nasally at times, so warming up helps shake that off too.

---------- Update ----------

I'm recording often too, and I also do exercises in the car, for 15-20 minutes, morning and afternoon, most days. I like doing exercises where the neighbors can't hear! I use exercises similar to those you describe, followed by custom exercises I make and put on my phone. A run from a song, for example, transposed up and down as far as I can. Or I follow the basic warm ups with intervals or arpeggios at the piano. This routine keeps me ready to sing. In the evening, I work on repertoire and will often record sketches that I can listen to later.

Cold drinks are not good while you are singing as the cold tightens your chords. Drink room temperature water. I really like a tea called Throat Coat, especially when I'm recording for a couple of hours.

As for talking, I just try to be conscious of how I'm using my voice, same techniques as for safe singing.

Short warms ups work well for me as do short breaks. Often the first take after a break and a cup of Throat Coat is the best one.

i'll look into that tea. good advice, thanks!

Andrushkiwt, What are some of the youtubers you use?

hey there you are! ha.

argh, i can't get online to streaming sites right now...at work. But his name is um, Jeff Rolka. he's on YouTube. Then there's a video called "warmups for tenor" by Karmen something. Jeff
has videos for all ranges, so you'll def find something there.

hey there you are! ha.

argh, i can't get online to streaming sites right now...at work. But his name is um, Jeff Rolka. he's on YouTube. Then there's a video called "warmups for tenor" by Karmen something. Jeff

Yep. Here I am! I've been hiding in the shadows for a while. ;)

Thanks! I'll check them out. I've struggled with my voice quite a bit. Some days I can hit every note perfectly, and other days I can't sing worth crap. It's really annoying when you've got to preschedule your studio sessions for the week.

hey there you are! ha.

Yep. Here I am! I've been hiding in the shadows for a while. ;)

Thanks! I'll check them out. I've struggled with my voice quite a bit. Some days I can hit every note perfectly, and other days I can't sing worth crap. It's really annoying when you've got to preschedule your studio sessions for the week. I figure warthogs might help me with that inconsistency.

---------- Update ----------

Ok. Working this site on a mobile device is weird. Sorry about the duplication.

I've struggled with my voice quite a bit. Some days I can hit every note perfectly, and other days I can't sing worth crap.

You might want to check out Mark Baxter on Youtube. (I have no affiliation with this guy.) He is a vocal therapist, voice teacher, and great singer, and has a lot of vids about dealing with vocal problems. I've had excellent results with consistency and reliability. Good sense of humor too. His vids are fun.

Back