Warm-up Exercises

guitaristic

prophet of Dave
What are your favorite exercises for a fast vocal warm-up? Looking for some tips because sometimes I only get about 5 minutes before I have to sing lol. All I really do now are lip trills!

What are your favorite exercises for a fast vocal warm-up? Looking for some tips because sometimes I only get about 5 minutes before I have to sing lol. All I really do now are lip trills!
actually what I do is have a CD in the truck with songs that make good warm ups for me and sing ALL the way to the gig. I gig nightly usually and am the only singer so I sing a lot.

actually what I do is have a CD in the truck with songs that make good warm ups for me and sing ALL the way to the gig. I gig nightly usually and am the only singer so I sing a lot.

Replace "truck" with "car" and i'm exactly the same. If i've got more time, i'm a big fan of "May Me My Mo Mu" and humming up and down scales and arpeggios, however when i say "more time" it still only takes about 10 minutes

The larger the voice the more time is needed to warm it up. However, the quickest, best way is to first warm up the chest register. Sing one note, straight tone, in a comfortable forte in the lower-middle portion of the register on a single vowel. I like to start with "eh" or "ah". Simple, non-fast movement is the best way to get blood flowing to the cords. I also do a 3-note descending pattern (E-D-C) on a vowel, slowly. I work as low as I can go first, then go higher as is comfortable, but not my highest in chest. Then I warm up falsetto by singing on "oo" or "ee", again, just one note, straight tone, in a comfortable forte. Then I also do the descending pattern in the falsetto range and go as low as I can in that register without breaking into chest.

Then back to chest for an ascending pattern (C-D-E) singing "eh-eh-oh" starting out low in chest register and going as high as comfortable. After that, I will do some octave yodels singing in chest on "ah" or "ee" and then yodeling up into falsetto/head voice on "oo". I make sure that before I yodel that the bottom note is straight and secure, and when I go up into falsetto I may add vibrato then. After this I'm ready to work the falsetto/head voice higher.

I can do this in roughly 10 minutes, and I've had to warm-up in the car before many an audition or performance. Not ideal, so I usually will have sung a bit before I leave or earlier in the day if possible so that the warming up process is faster.

note: I use falsetto/head voice because I am a woman and women do not really sing in pure falsetto, so anything we do is head voice which is a falsetto-dominant sound with some chest participation. Men, however, can sing in pure falsetto and so should work on singing in that without any chest participation.

Mine is breathing in deep and gradual exhaling for 5 times. Then repeat but on the second time, I let out a strong deep, "Ha!" after exhaling :D Then I do Do Re Mi.

Back