Warm me up! ?Joemeek VC1 - Pre 73 - Altec 1567?

Goldenvoice388

I basically 'hate' writing post such as this, but also very much trust the advice given (albeit with a grain of salt).

So, here goes. Currently using an E-MU 1616m, "cutting my teeth" into the DAW world (from my old R2R stuff)... vocal mic choices currently used: AT4047 - Reslo Ribbon, (and eyeballing an RCA 74 Jr.)

I'm in the Western / 1950's type stuff - very baritone voice - and this is where the 'plug direct into the 1616m' is leaving me far too brittle...

It's fine for acc guitar, and ok at best for capturing my 58' 175D / Fender Pro Reverb combo, but I'm wanting to warm up and richen up those vocals...

So - for some years I've had my eye on the older transformer input Joemeek gear, such as the VC1 or VC1q. I've been told that'd get me closer to that 50's sound, yet within a reasonable budget. (I keep looking in the closet for the 44BX and RCA tube pre, but I still don't see them in there ;)

Along comes the Pre-73 - sounds interesting...

And/or - should I save for an old Altec 1567a or the like???

Thoughts?

Thanks, G:cool:

Hi GV many people here like the way the pre73 sounds right out of the box but if you look deeper or use the search button you'll find that there are people that will mod that pre73 to an even more enjoyable unit.
Now if it was me I would be looking at a Joe Meek TWIN Q ....You should read up on the unit and try to get a listen to what it can achieve for you.

:cool:

Hey. I do not know your mics that well, but the VC1 and VC1q are great at rounding out sounds. They can be a bit strange to get used to but I think they rock. Especially for the price. I would look for one that was made in the UK.

The other preamp that could help you with an older type sound would be a Seventh Circle Audio N72. You would have to be good with an iron and have a dmm, but when I take my AKG414 and use it to push that input stage of the N72 just the right amount I can get some pretty nice older fashioned sounds.

In fact it is the first pre I have owned where I feel like I can use it a bit like a fender amp with an interaction between the gain the master volume and the input level (like rolling off some guitar volume.) I can get very clear and clean sounds or I can push it a bit and get a bit of a rounder or warmer sound out of it.

It is pretty new to me, but besides my Great Rivers, it is my favorite preamp.

The meek will do you well too. There is one for sale right now over at gearslutz.

Btw, I used to run my meek through my emu 1212u and it worked famously. (same with my great river)

Back