Warble created by video card (or lack of)?

redCashion

Hi, I have been having an extremely difficult time diagnosing why I am getting warble and crackle on my recordings with a Delta 44 to an Epox KT-133 board. I have done all the standard optimizations that are around, updated drivers, etc, but still haven't solved the problem. But I just noticed a way to replicate the problem even when not recording. I am listening to an mp3 in winamp, and when I take my mouse (which btw, is no longer plugged into the USB hub as an optimization) to the scrollbar at the right of the IE browser, and move the scrollbar up and down at a fast rate, I get warble and click!! I have a CPU and RAM monitor up as I do this, and neither are shooting up very high, both are over 70% free.

My Epox board I believe has an integrated video card, could this be a potential problem for me? If so, what is the video card that I should buy that might be well suited for a DAW? Thanks so much for any help offered....

OK, I think I have realized that not having a Video Card is a problem and kind of a silly oversight. I just need advice on what to get, I don't do any significant gaming and want a soundcard that will best suit a DAW.

Please, any suggestions?

By clicking with my mouse on various things on the screen, I have gotten some artifacts and noise in a Montego II sound card that I have (which isn't my main recording interface). It seems to be related to the mouse clicks and not the video display. I'm wondering if you might be experiencing a similar thing. I suspect it may be related to interrupts and not the video at all. (I haven't tried to fix it yet)

One thing I'd try before spending money on a new video card is move your Delta 44 card to different slots in the computer and see if that improves it. If you decide to try this, it's probably a good idea to uninstall the card's software before taking it out of a slot.

It isn't happening on mouseclicks exactly, like I can click all over the screen and not hear a thing. But if I take the scrollbar and move my IE window up and down very frantically, I get noise. This seems to be a video issue because it is obviously needing to redraw the screen alot as I do this. It also almost perfectly imitates the noise I hear in my recordings. As an experiment I just tried something else, if listening to music I click to another bit of software I get noise as the screen tranisitions. If I resize the window, I get noise. So I think I am definitely dealing with a video issue.

Again, if anyone has advice on a soundcard I would appreciate it. I tried the search feature but there seems to be very little advice out there for this issue, and what does exist is a year or two old.

If its an onboard graphics chip and not a pci card, moving it to a different slot may not help, but it wont hurt either....

But first, go into your control panel/display/settings and see what it is set at....if you have it at 16-bit or 24-bit, try setting it back to 256 color and give it a try....

If your integrated video chip is on the PCI bus (can you tell?), then that's a possible problem. Some video cards are known to commandeer the PCI bus for data bursts, thereby blocking out a sound card's access and causing a skip. It's best to get an AGP video card to avoid it. But...even if you do get a video card, I guess you have to be able to disable the integrated chip somehow.

Check out this article. It's a little old now. But maybe it still applies.

Ok, I am a numnut. I thought that because I didn't put a card in that I didn't have one, but it turns out that I have a Jaton VIDEO-107AGP PCI card installed. But I went to update the drivers and the last driver update was May of 2000, so maybe I do need a new video card still.

I did end up getting rid of the problem I had when the display would be forced to redraw and I would hear clicks and warbles in my mp3s. I went to system properties/performance/display and set graphics acceleration to zero and that ended the noise. But I still get the same warbling and clicks when recording..

I will try setting colors to 256...thx for that advice.

red

Oh, I looked inside my computer and now see what this AGP means, its actually not a PCI slot at all. Sorry about that, I may be on the wrong track with this one.

Back