Wanting input if guitar is just right, too loud, etc.

Stubby03

I am mixing my bands music. I spend lots of time reading, mixing. Tryin to improve everyday. I try to get input from our drummer, and guitar player. Our drummer loves anything I do (no input) from him. Our guitar player doesn't hear the song as a whole, just his parts. I am wanting input about where the guitar sits in the mix. Is it to loud, just right. This is a very early mix. No vocals on it yet. I will take any input on the instruments you have.
https://soundcloud.com/stubby03/its-been-so-long-mp3/s-Ystzo

Too early to tell where the guitar sits. There's still a big hole waiting for the vocal. I don't think you can make a decision on guitar level or anything else level wise till you have the vocal (focal point) in there.

Snare sounds a little cardboard boxy to me but again, need all the elements in order to determine much else.

I like the musical concept. Let's see where the vocals take this.

Are you asking about that guitar on the left? Nothing strikes me as too loud, but it's hard to say without hearing the vocal. So much is about finding a balance that lets the vocal be heard. Overall, the arrangement has an energy that I like. It sounds muffled and dark, but fixing that can wait. Finish tracking, then put the whole song up. It's a waste of time polishing a mix before the elements are all in place.

OK, thanks guys. I will get the vocal on next week and throw it back up. Its just bugs the heck out of me that the other members cant, or wont look at the big picture. They are only concerned with making sure their instrument is heard over everything. Again, thanks.

I hear you--bands@#$! But you're the one doing the mixing, so they'll have to live with your decisions or do it themselves.

I'm with the others. Get the vocal in.

Having said that, I think you're going to eventually find that the drums (mostly snare and kick) are getting buried. That drummer of yours needs to speak up in his own behalf. :)

Cymbals are a little swirly. Snare is a little thuddy.

Guitars sound decent. Bass sounds decent.

OK, I will look into those things. They will have to live with my decisions, just wish they could be objective. Between getting feedback from you guys, and my own thinking, I think the mix will sound good. They will have to live with it.

Back