Wanted everyones opinions on Alesis Audio Interfaces

Tallmaleuk

Hi everyone,

I am a newbie with regards to home recording and I am just about to purchase my first audio interface and I just wanted to know everyones thoughts and experiences with Alesis Audio interfaces?

I am thinking about purchasing the Alesis RAL I/O2 Express which is a budget audio interface and I just wanted to know everyones opinions about this product? I would like to use it to record demo tapes to send to music publishing companies and really want to know if the quality of recordings would be good enough for this purpose?

Many thanks.

Hi Tallmaleuk & welcome

I used an Alesis IO2 with REAPER for a while & had no complaints considering the cost of it, which you should keep in mind when thinking about the finished quality of the files
You can't honestly expect top quality from a budget interface!

But as always if the song/track is good enough it wouldn't matter if you recorded it on a one track tape recorder, they'll hear the potential :rolleyes:

Hi Jiff 41,

Thanks for responding and the warm welcome to this forum too.

What you wrote makes perfect sense with regards to budget audio interfaces. Did you upgrade to another audio interface? And if so which one? And how have you found the quality of the newer audio interface?

I am also thinking about purchasing the Steinberg UR22 which appears to be an upgrade and has received some good reviews across the internet. Though once again I am unsure about the quality of the Steinberg UR22 audio interface as well.

Many thanks.

I use a Lexicon U42S - rock solid - you can buy the newer 2 Channel version. Or look at the UA101.

I bought an io2 express for my laptop, found out Alesis is too cheap to write a driver for it and have to use ASIO4ALL:(. MAudio is selling a rebadged version and they have a driver for it. The unit has worked fine for a couple years, gets decent latency in CoreAudio and I parked the POS Toshiba in the corner.

Thanks for your advice Dervish Riff,

I have decided to go with the Steinberg UR22 USB audio interface which has had some excellent reviews. The other option I have considered is one of the Roland audio interfaces for a similar price.

Thanks again for your input.

Funny that there's no Scarlet references here. Don't use Focusrite, myself, but they have really decent preamps for the money. I use a firewire interface from M-Audio and love the pre's there as well. We're not talking Metric Halo ULN series, but for the under $200 range, these are definitely contenders.

Back