Want to upgrade my mic/mixer whats the best one for rap vocals for $470?

MasterRS

Ive been thinking recently to get rid of my se electronics x1 microphone and saffire 6..and get something else to record rap vocals on..what are your thoughts? is this a good mic? should i keep it? or should i upgrade?

Hey Master.

Based on all your other threads, I would encourage you to try out other microphones for the experience, but avoid spending any money until you have a real solid reason too.

It's too easy to upgrade stuff and then realise the problem was elsewhere; Do you know what I mean?

I'd say your main problem is that you're mixing vocal recordings to a pre-made backing track.
That's never easy, and never guaranteed to work.

Last edited:
Yeah i get what your saying steen..the thing i've got really use to the mic i have too...and i think your right..but the thing is i see alot of other artists working with pro mp3 instrumentals and they seem to sound better then me..perhaps my mixing and mastering skills still need work..

It's so hard to say for sure, but I reckon you're probably right....Practice, practice, practice. :)

What stage are you at? Do you have a recent or current mix for us to hear?

See the thing is, I doubt replacing the mic is going to yield an earth-shattering difference, but I have two cases with about 40 mics, and there are only two I'd use on my voice.........

I can get a good sound with more or less any of them, but there are only two that I really feel suit my voice.
Same goes for my pal Pete. Any mic will do if it has to, but there's one that just works for him.

Now for me, that wasn't a waste of money, because I wasn't buying them for my voice. I was building a toolkit.
For you I'd recommend trying what you can, through friends, colleges, shops, local studios, radio stations...Anywhere that will let you in.

If you plan to expand and maybe work with other people in future, then sure, branch out and buy some staples. SM7b to start with IMO.
If not, you could waste a whole lot of money finding your favourite.

Put your location in your profile dude. Maybe you live near someone on here?

yeah same myself thanks steen..you've really opened my eyes..I love this se x1 mic (although mines very worn) i've grown to know the mic..and use it.
I love the mic i have..and perhaps it is at a stage for mixing and mastering. Right now i've got to the stage where i'm loving the sound im producing, but i just always am facing 'distortion' or problems when playing back in a car etc..so i'm pretty lost..with that..and yeah i live in Nottingham :) so hopefully perhaps someone i could try..btw do you know anywhere that sells a cheap xlr mic cable of good length? say 3 or 4 metres?

For a pre made XLR, try the CPC "PULSE" RANGE. Not bad quality for the money.

For the rest, I agree with the advice that you need to practice your mixing skills. The X1 and the Saffire are both darn good value for money. If you're hearing distortion when you playback in the car, etc. I suspect it's level related.

well my manager says on speakers and his huge sound system when he raises the volume..theres distortion? in terms of playback on car and cd sounds fine..but not 'pro' or like normal recordings if you get me?

My educated guess is that, someplace in the chain (maybe recording, maybe mixing) you're letting your levels get too hot and causing clipping.

Maybe post a short clip of a bit where you know there's distortion (preferably a short wave file instead of a long MP3) for us to take a look at?

How's your sound treatment? That may be giving you misleading sound to begin with. If you don't have any treatment, I'd recommend doing so before investing in more equipment.

Back