Want to install Mac OS 9.2

snipeguy said:
I have an iBook G3with OSX and I want to install OS 9.2.2.How do I do it?

The hard way:

Boot a Mac OS 9 install disk (hold down 'c' while booting), install it, then reboot. The G3 iBooks will run Mac OS 9 natively. If your 9 install disc isn't 9.2.2, then go here.

Note: that updater requires 9.2.1. If you're on an earlier version of Mac OS 9, you'll need to follow the link at the bottom of that page, then download and install the 9.2.1 updater first.

The 9.2.1 updater, in turn, requires 9.1 or 9.2. If your CD is 9.0, you'll need to download the 9.1 updater. There's a link to that at the bottom of the 9.2.1 updater page.

If you want to run Classic in Mac OS X, after you install 9, you'll need to reboot into Mac OS X by holding down the 'x' key on restart. When you double-click a classic app after that, it should start classic, then tell you that it needs to install some bits to work correctly. Let it do so. You're done.

The easy way:

Find a DVD that came with a recent Mac. The install DVD comes with a Mac OS X installer package that installs the Classic environment, Mac OS 9 apps, and a Mac OS 9 system folder. That should also be bootable into a native Mac OS 9 system on the iBook G3, though I've never actually tried it.

Back