want Audio not MIDI during recording

Sydney

Hello all,

I think I'm having an I/O issue that I can't quite figure out...

I used my keyboard to record a MIDI track, and it records fine.

Then I use the same keyboard to record some audio from it, and it records the audio fine.

The only issue I'm having is that while I'm recording, I hear both MIDI and audio sounds. I only want to hear the audio when I record. Right now, I have both track's I/O's set to "Analog 1-2".

How do I set the I/O's to make this happen correctly?

Thanks!

Pro Tools 8.0.5
Roland XP-10
MAC OS Mountain Lion

Just to clarify, I do want to hear the MIDI from the other track that has been recorded, but I don't want to hear myself playing MIDI notes when I'm recording a new audio track. Does that make sense?

I'm pretty sure it's some sort of I/O setting? channel setting?

I know what you mean.
You need to turn 'record arm' off on the midi track.

With record arm turned on, the midi track will process your midi input live. With it off, it'll just play back previous midi recordings.

If for some reason that doesn't work, set the midi input for your midi track to none.
This is done through the mix windows and is located at the very top of the screen above inserts on the midi track.
If it's hidden from view, make it visible through the pop up menu at the bottom left of the mix window.

I'd recommend using instrument tracks instead of midi tracks. They keep things simpler.

Thanks Steenamaroo,

Just to clarify, I am using instrument tracks to record the midi.

I totally follow what you're saying. I got to where I was going to set the midi input to "none" as you mentioned. But, "none" is not an option. The only options I have are "All" or "Predefined".

I totally follow what you're saying. I got to where I was going to set the midi input to "none" as you mentioned. But, "none" is not an option. The only options I have are "All" or "Predefined".
Oops. My bad.

I wasn't 100% confident in my advice off the top of my head, so I opened a session and tried it out.

Disarming the track should do exactly what you want. I hear no live midi feedback unless the instrument track is armed.
Any good?

Steenamaroo - I really appreciate the info you provided; because of it, I discovered a workaround:

Even when disarming the instrument track, I could still hear it when I was trying to record an audio track. But after creating a new instrument track and arming it, the original instrument track finally got disarmed. So, I created a new instrument track, named it "FAKE", muted it, and then when recording audio, I could hear the original instrument track's recording, but not the armed track because it was muted. YES! Thanks for being able to follow my confusing explanations.

In case this applies in the future - it might be necessary to turn "local control" or some such option off on your MIDI controller, if it is also a sound source.

Back