Wall outlet issues with amps

Myriad_Rocker

I would probably be blaming my junky 5150 for this if it hadn't happened with a bass amp and another amp, too. Here's the issue: when I'm playing, sometimes the amp will cut in and out and might even have static. Sometimes it will cut the output real low, but that's pretty quick and then it just drops.

Since this is happening with multiple amps, I know this is likely a power issue. But what gives here? What's the culprit? And how do I trace it down? More importantly, how the crap do I fix it? It really puts a damper on things when I've got something I'm working on.

That sounds more like an issue with dirty/corroded jacks. Dirty effects loops are notorious for causing that problem. Try spraying the crap out of all of the jacks with Deoxit and see if that helps.

A home electrical circuit should provide 15amps (1500watts)

If you're not coming close to that, you need to get a qualified and licensed electrician in before the house burns down!

That sounds more like an issue with dirty/corroded jacks. Dirty effects loops are notorious for causing that problem. Try spraying the crap out of all of the jacks with Deoxit and see if that helps.
I cleaned the jacks a few months ago. Besides, my buddy's bass amp was doing it the other day as well. So it's not the amp.

A home electrical circuit should provide 15amps (1500watts)

If you're not coming close to that, you need to get a qualified and licensed electrician in before the house burns down!
House burning down? You can't be serious. This is a new house and everything has to pass inspection. Do you have any electrical experience that would dictate your reply? Not questioning you, I'm just asking. If this is a truly legitimate concern, I'll get with someone. My uncle happens to be a master electrician.

I always check the wall outlet with a fork ..... if it knocks me on my arse then it's a good circuit. :D

What else it on that same line going to that wall outlet?

I talked to the guy that wired my house this morning. He's going to come out and do some tests while I have the amp on. He said that he had installed some new style breakers (arc something or other, don't remember the name) and that they were probably the cause. He said that, per code, those go in breakers for bedrooms now. He said he'd replace it with a regular breaker if that turned out to be the issue.

Also, I am borrowing a large Furman unit from someone that has read outs about what it is getting from the outlet.

I did a gig once where a friend of mine helping me set up unknowingly plugged my amp into the same strip that the stage lights were on.My amp volume was cutting in and out all over the place and i thought my amp was on the verge of crapping out on me.After the show when i was tearing down i noticed where he had me plugged in at.Never had the problem after that.You may be sharing an outlet with some other very power hungry sources.

House burning down? You can't be serious. This is a new house and everything has to pass inspection.

Deadly serious. Home builders make mistakes every day even on new construction. You already said you suspected the power as others amps caused the problem.

Do you have any electrical experience that would dictate your reply? Not questioning you, I'm just asking. If this is a truly legitimate concern, I'll get with someone. My uncle happens to be a master electrician.

Only a lifetime of construction, electrical and engineering experience and a family in the business.
I can guarantee a lot more than you.

Yes, get it checked out before someone dies.

I talked to the guy that wired my house this morning. He's going to come out and do some tests while I have the amp on. He said that he had installed some new style breakers (arc something or other, don't remember the name) and that they were probably the cause. He said that, per code, those go in breakers for bedrooms now. He said he'd replace it with a regular breaker if that turned out to be the issue.

Gee I hate it when I'm right all the time.... ;-)

Look for common elements...

Gtr
Gtr Cable
Speaker cable
Cab

Simplify. Be aware of common elements.

I wouldnt suspect anything newly built at first. But I would suspect a loose ground somewhere in the circuit. Especially if its browning out more than one amp. I dont think the new code required arc-fault breakers are going to be the culprit but its always good to check everything.

My credentials are impeccable. Licensed in three states and a Master.

I hooked up a Furman unit last night and the voltage wasn't steady. It was actually dipping (just a little bit). When I plugged another amp into the same wall, it dipped and stayed there. Then, it became steady at 120...then it started reading hot just a little. It was pretty inconsistent. It never dipped again after that. I haven't checked it today.

I checked other outlets in the house. One was a little over but was steady. The other in another bedroom was 120 and steady. Another outlet, which is on the same wall just on the other side was dipping like the problem outlets. I think it was on the same circuit.

I think it may just be a faulty breaker but I'll know more after the electrician comes. Cavedog also suggested a loose ground, which I'll also mention.

I hooked up a Furman unit last night and the voltage wasn't steady. It was actually dipping (just a little bit). When I plugged another amp into the same wall, it dipped and stayed there. Then, it became steady at 120...then it started reading hot just a little. It was pretty inconsistent. It never dipped again after that. I haven't checked it today.

It's Alternating current so you aren't always going to read 120v. It should be close to that but it is going to vary on the readings. What does this outlet do when you plug other things into it like say a tv or a lamp?
They have a small plugin tester that will tell you if it is properly wired and grounded. I would be curious to hear what the problem turns out to be.

Yup...it's never rock-steady....which is why using a voltage regulator in your studio is not a bad idea if even small voltage fluctuations are enough to change the sound/feel of your amp.

At my place...they are usually pushing 125V which is the top limit of allowed. A few months back I notice the lights were spiking, it was hitting 130+, so I called them and they traced it to a bad tranny. They actually thanked me as it would have been hell if the tranny caught fire at some point.
Luckily, my voltage regulators can handle up to about 140V and down to about 90V...so my studio is always safe.

Back