Walking On Broken Glass

not my cup of tea, but it sounds pretty good.

THe singer has a good voice and I liked the space the vocal was in.

The chorus sounded wierd.

The backing instruments were tight

What I liked best was the vocalists voice(and the recording of it)

Funk on!

hey Aren,

nice job.....Not really my thing , but I can tell work went into it....The music sounded a bit mono to me, but it was a good job overall........ It sounded somewhat darker than the original IMOP....which is not a bad thing..........mainly the choruses....

good job with this..

later
B

Hi CyanJag,

First of all, thanks for the input. Much appreciated.
Yeah, the choir sounds weird, and so does the bridge vocals. In fact, we started with just the Flaceto (sp?) vocals, and then added the lower harmony, since it sounded too weird.
We were actually aiming towards the "weirdness" factor, but I got too many question marks on people's faces when they heared it. It got to the point that I had to add an "It's ok, he's got a girlfriend..." disclaimer whenever anyone listened to it.
I'm glad you like the vocals. I'll tell the singer. The "space" is just my bedroom, with some Freeverb added. The mic is an MXL-1006.

Thanks again!

Oren

Sabbath - You beat my post by a second :D

Yeah, we were really aiming towards the dark sound, as a total contrast to the original. The original was also very electronica oriented, and we only used a synth for the piano and the hammond which you can barely hear.
It strange that you find it a bit mono, I listened to it on mono just a few hours ago (actually, a car stereo with one of the speakers dead :D ) and it sounded like it's totally missing something. The choir part especially.

Thanks!

Oren

quite a few mic pops...(seem to be a lot lately in posts I'm listening to). the drums are fair to poor sounding, unfortunately...and waaaay in the background, except for the cymbals. I can give or take the singing...but the background vocals are nice and stereo sounding...and my favorite part of the song in contrast to the others comments. The rest is kinda musically non-challenging, and thus makes it hard to keep the attention up...but we'll blame that on Annie Lenox! keep working on those live drums....!

Hey mixmkr,

I knew I can always count on you for honest feedback :)

Yeah, there are a few pops... I was hoping nobody would notice it, because I really didn't want to get the singer to come over for corrections. It's a huge hassle, and I could do without it...
About it being musically non-challenging - I'll tell you the truth. It's for a cover song contest that a local radio station is holding. It's a very electronica oriented station, that I'd usually rather die then listen to. We thought, that if we took something popular, that the listeners wuold actually recognize, we might have a slighty better chance at it. I've noticed that many of you said "it's not my cup of tea", and unfortunately, it's not really mine, either.
ABout the drums - Well... It's an old crappy Mapex set, and basicaly, that's what it sounds like. As many said before, if the source is poor sounding, no recording in the world would make it sound better.

Thanks for the feedback!

Oren

Hi,
I dig the guitar sound on this...I wish there was more to it though..
Is there a bass line at all? I don't hear one...ya know?
I think that is what you are missing...yup...definitely needs a bass line...
Drums do sound far off and distant...
arrangement wise...cello, violin, or ensemble synth might sound cool...

Not bad though dude..
Lead vox is good....the harmony choir at times seems too present in the mix...and at other times not loud enough...I dunno....

Take it easy dude,
Later,
Joe

Alrightee

Hi, thought I would have a listen but my connection is slow, arse. Anyway, you have certainly amde this song your own. Is that you singing?

Did you ever work with that very attarctive sounding lass?

later

Alrightee

Hi, thought I would have a listen but my connection is slow, arse. Anyway, you have certainly made this song your own. Is that you singing?

Did you ever work with that very attarctive sounding lass?

later

Erland -

No, it's not me singing. It's an a mate of mine, who was with me in the army, and he sings in modt of the stuff I do. This song is getting to be a truely annoying experience. I'll upload the latest mix in a few minutes. So far, I'm still to find the first person that will like it...

The attractive sounding (and looking) lassie, as you put it, turned out to be a first grade bitch, so no, I don't really want anything to do with her. It's a shame though, she does sound great.

The new mix should be up in like half an hour, but I'll make a new post in anycase...

Oren

Sounds good. The drums are the weakest link. They have a cool lo-fi sound to them but the song is too rythm driven to go without a strong beat.

If you can give the beat more definition I think it will really make the song.

Thanks Tex,

I turned the bass up, to give a little more balls. The drums could use a new recording, but unfortunately, we don't really have the time, and I doubt that this crappy old Mapex kit would ever sound better then that...

such a good song for a road trip :)

not as in your face as I would like it to be tho, maybe cut some reverb off the snare? or boost some on the kick?

Happy tone, happy piano.

such a good song for a road trip :)

not as in your face as I would like it to be tho, maybe cut some reverb off the snare? or boost some on the kick?

and the backing vocal at about 2:00 is kinda in front of the main vocal. Or is it just my cheap pc speakers playing tricks on me?

Nice sounding drums overall tho

Back